No distortion detected…

Hey everyone, new to the forum and just bought a DD-1. I have been using the DD-1 to check for distortion on the factory head unit and the lc7i and the amp, but it doesn’t light up the distortion light until it’s at max volume on the head unit, max gain on the lc7i and half way up on the gain on the Rockford Fosgate punch amp. After hooking the speaker leads up and playing music, it distorts at half volume. When setting it up I used the 40hz -5 DB track. I followed the instructions on the DD-1 manual. Has anyone had this happen? What am I doing wrong? 

Hey everyone, new to the forum and just bought a DD-1. I have been using the DD-1 to check for distortion on the factory head unit and the lc7i and the amp, but it doesn’t light up the distortion light until it’s at max volume on the head unit, max gain on the lc7i and half way up on the gain on the Rockford Fosgate punch amp. After hooking the speaker leads up and playing music, it distorts at half volume. When setting it up I used the 40hz -5 DB track. I followed the instructions on the DD-1 manual. Has anyone had this happen? What am I doing wrong? 

First, try changing the batteries to a strong, name brand battery. It might sound stupid, but I've seen it work more than once. 

Second, did you make sure your crossovers aren't overlapping? Make sure your low pass filter is set as high as you can, and your subsonic is set as low as you can. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Dafaseles, yes I did use a name brand battery, as far as the crossover settings on the amplifier,  I turned it to 100hz as advised and the subsonic all the way down.  Would the volume need to be set separately on the radio, lc7i and amplifier separately?

Kyblack76, yes I see 40k signal light come on  but the volume on the radio and the output on the lc7i both need to be maxed out. I’m pretty sure when those two are maxed that there will be distortion but the distortion light only illuminated after adjusting the amplifier gain. Is it possible that the signal is so weak that until the amplifier boosts the signal to a detectable that it isn’t registering?

Edited by Chug Wysley

37 minutes ago, Chug Wysley said:

Dafaseles, yes I did use a name brand battery, as far as the crossover settings on the amplifier,  I turned it to 100hz as advised and the subsonic all the way down.  Would the volume need to be set separately on the radio, lc7i and amplifier separately?

Are you using the 0 db 40 hz tone to find the max volume of the head unit and set the gain on the LC7i?

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Unfortunately the CD player does not work on the head unit so I have had to download the test tones. I’ve tried 0db 40hz and -5db 40hz. I’m going to try a Duracell battery in place of the energizer battery tomorrow. Should I just set the head unit and lc7i to 3/4 and adjust the amplifier gain until it lights up distortion? It’s weird but on the speaker outputs coming from the head unit and the lc7i,  I can’t get it to show distortion at any volume, but im sure it is distorted if I had speakers hooked up.

Ill bet the oem source level is to low. But, sure, you could set the source up at 7/8s of max, same on the lc7, then, run the dd1 with the amp, and adjust accordingly. Hopfully you dont have a cock ton of floor noise.