Second Skin Audio

creating double baffle with smaller pieces of wood

say if i got 12 of these for 20 bucks

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/532948991716634/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

but i need a 28 inch front baffle. can i double baffle two horizontal and two vertical, gluing everything and brad nailing them together for them to dry, would it actually work as a front and back? even with two supports in opposite corners of the boards for the front and back

That doesn't seem to be Russian/Baltic birch like it says. To me it looks like its 5ish ply (layers), rather hard to tell though by the low quality pics and not being able to see the edge clearly. So I would say it is probably a Birch plywood with a softer core on the inner plys like Douglas Fir and a Russian/Baltic top and bottom ply for aesthetics. So that would be similar to the type of Birch, Maple, Oak plywood's you find at your typical big box stores.

The big box stores Birch plywood is typically what a lot of people in car audio refer to as Baltic Birch ply when it is just regular Birch ply that is not fully 100% Birch and really only like 4% Birch. These same people claim it to be lighter in weight than MDF which is true, but they do not understand how and why (even after being explained).
Real Russian/Baltic Birch is about 80ish lbs per 4by8 sheet.
MDF is about 90ish lbs per 4by8 sheet.
Regular Birch, Maple, Oak plywood's are about 50ish lbs per sheet which is the same weight as regular plywood.
I'm using 3/4 inch thick sheets for all these examples.
The reason why those are so much lighter in weight is due to the inner cores being that soft wood that are typically from Douglas Fir.

I know real Russian/Baltic Birch that is 3/4 inch thick is 13 ply (layers), and all plys are true Russian/Baltic Birch hardwood, but that wood in the classified listing is 1/2 inch so typically a real Russian/Baltic Birch ply that is 1/2 inch thick is 9 plys, and 1/4 inch thick is 5 plys. Granted this will usually change a little depending on manufacture of the wood, but it typically only changes by 1 ply/layer and not 4 like in the classified ad.

Now that I have that information out of the way and you are hopefully some what better educated that wood for $10 per 6 pieces with a $100 minimum (so you will have to get at least 60 pieces of it according to the classified listing) is a steal of a price even if it is the cheaper Birch ply and not real Russian/Baltic wood.
I would buy as much of it as I could afford even if I didn't need all of it due to current wood pricing. I would probably find a use for the extra wood that I didn't need and build a few extra boxes to sell to other local bass heads or something!!
17 by 48 is a decent size panel and is rather large enough for most boxes.

Now if it was a box being made for myself I wouldn't have an issue doubling up the wood to make a larger panel than what the wood is, after all how its made is each ply is alternated and glued so you would be doing the same thing as the factory does. Make sure to use 100% glue coverage and spread it evenly between the layers, and don't go too thick. Also 100% glue coverage between the edges of the panels where they but together.  Then you will want to brad nail or screw both layers together and if screwing go at least 3 inches apart from screw to screw nothing closer than that. Screws too close together can and will weaken the wood so no closer than 3 inches. Some people will mark a grid on the wood prior to gluing it so they know where to put every screw. 

Archived