Sonic Electronix

I'm new to car audio but have found my new hobby for sure. I have 2 Skar SDR 12's but I'm looking to start a new build. I've ordered a new 300 amp alternator and I've got 2 yellow top batteries. So what I'm wanting to install is 2 12" VXF's with either the SKv2-3500 or SKv2-4500. So my question is what size wire should I run to my amp? I'm thinking 1/0 should be fine but was also considering 2/0 and can I use welding lead I'm sure it would be fine and probably cheaper? Also where is the best place to buy the wire? Thank you for all the help Chris M

Well, either amp asks for 1/0 gauge, so you should use that size to your amp and for your ground from your amp. 

If you use car audio cable such as Sky High Car Audio cable, Knukonceptz cable, or Full Tilt cable (there are other quality brands of car audio cable, these are just the ones that came to mind), make sure to use OFC (oxygen free copper) not CCA (copper clad aluminum).OFC is quite a bit more conductive than CCA, making it able to safely transfer more amperage. 

Welding wire is pure copper, so as long as you protect it, it should be fine. 

One thing to know when using welding cable is the size. Car audio cable is oversized, and welding cable follows the American wire gauge standard sizing. So 1/0 welding cable is a true 1/0 size, but car audio cable 1/0 is more closer to 2/0 welding cable (AWG) size. So take from that what you will

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived