Second Skin Audio

Can this work

That could lead to unpredictable results, you know, like using different subs  in the same box,  if you can't find a satisfactory solution to your problem just fully describe it on here and see if we can come up with some alternatives.

Ideally if you were to try that you would almost want to match the port area of the new port with the old port, and you would want them to be of equal length (at least when doing multiple ports of the same type), but where you will run in to problem number 1 is that added port area is going to raise tuning higher than it currently is by a lot. Problem number 2 would be that it would be rather hard to match port area of the current slot port because aero ports have less internal surface area inside the port than a slot port of the same port area which is what makes them more efficient than a slot port and this means you can usually get by with less port area and yield the same results as a larger slot port. That goes for round ports in general actually.

I agree with Joe and knowing what you are trying to overcome, so if you know a rebuild is needed maybe taking some time to experiment prior could be worth the time so you have a better idea which direction to go with a new box.

Well I’m actually trying this in a friends durrango I traded in my truck so I have a ton of stuff as I decided to not use system in new one.  He can’t fit my big box so im using a smaller one around 7cubes after displacement I was using 2 15” originally when I built it but added another 15” on top inverted. I hit a 148 with it in my old Titan.  I think we hit around 139 in his durrango.  I know alot affects this.  Mainly all my electrical was upgraded.  First thing I will try is to invert all 3 to save some air space. If not much changes I’ll look at port placement and try a few different box configurations.  Im trying to refrain from building a new one as it’s not my money to play with and mdf and birch is 70$ and more a sheet right now 

7 cubes net is for 3 12s not 3 15s, you likely cannot fix that box into a 10+ cubic feet net one which is more like what is needed, just to give you an idea SUV boxes are subs firing up port(s) firing back, generally 3.5-4 net per driver and 50 to 70 square inches of port area per driver depending on power and the drivers.

Yea sadly I know this, like I said the box was originally built for 2 15” .  I will say yesterday we inverted all the subs and port back running the 6k on stock electrical at 1.33ohms. Frequency range was fanstastic imo clean from 25-50 hz.  Only hitting around 140db on music I’m curious if I could get any more out of it running my xs3400 on it.  Considering trying .33 but I highly doubt stock electrical could handle that.  At this point it’s for fun really.  As I have so much equipment hanging around.  I have a huge box I built but durrango is around 40”max wire and my box is 48”.  Do you think I’d do better running 2 subs opposed to 3?

Archived