Second Skin Audio

Mobile sound system

sanlucar

Hello *,

I am out to build a car (sort of) sound system that is able to power a pop up dance party. Because I figured building it IN a car is sorta useless when I want people OUTSIDE to enjoy, I bought a trailer to put the system on.

The trailer is a 4000 pounds gross weight braked trailer that can be closed while traveling, and opened up when operating the sound system. It has 16x anchor points that can be loaded to 500 pounds each.

To power the system, I have an assortment of various batteries I accumulated over the years. All of them are NMC chemistry from various electric cars configured to a 15s setup. All in all, I have about 28kWh of capacity on a 80% DOD. Voltage ranges from 52.5V at 90% down to 47.5V at 10%. I do have a BMS that has a relay output to switch off load when the batteries get low. The batteries weigh about 1000 pounds all together with the bus bars and such.

I want the system to last a minimum of 2 hours at full power, obviously more at less output. That means the sound system can pull 290amp at 48v continuous (~ 14kW) with short peaks well above 2000 amps (96kW). Now as you see, I am very good with electrics. But this post is to ask for advice for the audio system part.

My plan is to use TPA3255 based class D amplifiers for the heavy lifting, which operate directly from 48V for efficiency and can output 500W RMS at 2 ohms with 1% THD (!!). Very good parts, I have tested them. They have 90% efficiency and are easily cooled with a good computer fan.

But if someone has advise about other advisable amplifiers, I am open to hear. I obviously can go to 110V/220V via inverter, but this introduces noise. I think going of pure DC 48V with a good clean class D like the TPA3255 would be best.

But what speakers and what enclosure design would be advisable? Basically this is a concert-type setup to sound into open air. I know these take quite a bit of power to reach good loudness. I want the bass to impress.

Is 14kW continuous enough for this application? How is the SPL drop off after ~30ft ?

What setup of sub-woofers and speakers would be recommended? If someone has build a similar system, I would love to listen to their experience.

Thanks,

Sanlucar

Archived