Sonic Electronix

Hello,

I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid currently in a local audio shop for a big audio upgrade. The truck has been in the shop since April 30th 2022. The shop has hit a brick wall after installing the 370 Mechman alternator. The power steering is powered through the hybrid system. So when they went to install the aftermarket belt and pulley they rub a few hoses.

Does anyone have experience adding an alternator to these Chevy hybrids? Or any suggestions on how to go about completing this sort of install? I will list the system components below if that helps. Thank you in advance! This has been an expensive lesson and journey in car audio. I won’t be purchasing a hybrid or doing any car audio for awhile after this.

ELECTRICAL 
Mechman 370 alternator - 5328watts

800watts x 2 - Subs = 1600 watts

2520 rms - Total system wattage 

226 amps (Alternator amps Required)

PARTSLIST
370 amp Mechman Alternator 

200ft GP Car Audio 1/0 OFC Wire (Red & Black) Power/Groud

Stinger HEIGH10 10" Multimedia Car UN1810

Audiotec Fischer DIRECTOR DSP Remote Control with Touchscreen Display

Audiotec Fischer Helix DSP Ultra

Limitless Lithium 12K battery 

NVX Smart 500 Amp Relay Isolator (XSBI500)

SMD 4 spot Fuse Block

SMD 10 spot Fuse Block

2 - SMD Full Copper Distribution Blocks

Rockford Fosgate T2500BDCP Mono Amp

Rockford Fosgate T1000x4 (Class A/B) 4 Channel Amp

2 - Rockford Fosgate T400x4 (Class A/B) 4 Channel Amps (Tweeters & 3.5 Midrange)

2 - JL 12W7AE Subwoofers 

JL Audio 12W7 AE dual ported sub box SPECIAL EDITION with red plexi port trim

8, 10 and 12 gauge ofc speaker wire 100ft ea.

Sky High Car Audio Dual Subwoofer Speaker Wire Inputs

GP Car Audio ULTRA HiFi RCA 17ft and 25ft 2 channel  HANDMADE DH LABS (3 sets)

Sky High Car Audio 20 ft 4 Channel PREMIUM RCA Cable Nylon Copper Braided 6.5 M (Two Sets)

Compustar RFX-P2WT12-SS Kit + FT-CMX-HC Alarm Remote Start IT Controller

Compustar Alarm Add On w/FT-DAS-II Siren & LED Upgrade DC3 FT-Alarmit-Kit

IDatalink Blade AL Module 

Sky High Car Audio Copper Dual 1/0 to 1/0 Gauge Inputs

Pair ILL Customz Offset Dual 1/0 Gauge to 4 Gauge Amp Input Reducers (Two pairs)

SDBBP40: 40 sq ft Sound Damping (Bulk Pack) x2 boxes

GP STFU V2 250mil Sound Deadener - 40 SQFT (10 Sheets)

DBC521F4-B974-48F1-B3D5-47D09D346919.jpeg

1781DAE5-BAF1-4D86-8746-8CB19E3159E3.jpeg

76F82D45-4354-40BE-B868-FA7820474B92.jpeg

EA038179-8AE5-4C29-B3AA-DB5F27618CEC.jpeg

6EDEA5B2-0105-4A80-BAF1-74FDFE041ADE.jpeg

F39B380C-43FE-4FAE-A294-404D37E3EE25.jpeg

05DA5765-DB68-44D0-93EC-9A79BCC07364.jpeg

5998B2BD-8FD2-45DB-8BC8-7451CDA13ADE.jpeg

7E3E4C1F-3B6D-4506-A9A6-CE7E7D59C259.jpeg

First off WTF on how they attached that battery isolator.... 

How much smaller is the belt and pully that its now rubbing hoses ? might have to make a bracket with another pully on it to move it close to the position where the factory belt was 

and mentioning the power steering powered by the hybrid system was it not before?

The belt should either be the same size (if the tensioner can accommodate the smaller alternator pully) or just a little smaller than the stock belt. It should go into the same space as it did before, so I'm not understanding how all of a sudden it's hitting hoses.

The engine in this hybrid trucks is the 6.0 v8 correct? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Yea, I had them replace the shitty job on the isolator with a rivnut. As for the mechman, the truck is a 6.0 v8. However, it doesn’t come stock with an alternator. I’m not sure how the stock belt configuration does work. I’m just repeating what they called me and said. The power steering is controled by the hybrid system and not the belt/alternator. I found a video through another audio forum that used spacers and some other pulleys. I’m hoping that it is a viable option. 

Either way I will post updates on the install. This is my first system and it doesn’t feel good knowing more than your installers for such an expensive project.

That looks like some shoddy work. No surprise, I've had to fix plenty of "professional" shops jobs and never surprises me what they hide. 

I'm failing to see what hoses its hitting? Surprises me there's no alternator and it is that dependent on the hybrid battery and inverter and not 2 totally seperate systems. I believe the regenerator/hybrid motor is in the trans area correct? Looks like they snagged a alt/ps bracket, get a ps delete pulley and run it like a non hybrid truck. 

How you should fix it, take it somewhere else!

3 hours ago, DFSFU2020 said:

That looks like some shoddy work. No surprise, I've had to fix plenty of "professional" shops jobs and never surprises me what they hide. 

I'm failing to see what hoses its hitting? Surprises me there's no alternator and it is that dependent on the hybrid battery and inverter and not 2 totally seperate systems. I believe the regenerator/hybrid motor is in the trans area correct? Looks like they snagged a alt/ps bracket, get a ps delete pulley and run it like a non hybrid truck. 

How you should fix it, take it somewhere else!

Yea, I wanted to have the audio system/alternator ran completely separate from the hybrid system. But they hooked it up with the isolator anyway. I figured the alternator would just drop in since it’s the same block as the non hybrid version. The shop called me saying that the belt rubs some hoses (not pictured in my original post). Overall I’m not happy, they have had my truck since 4/30/2022 and this is all that they have done.

Taking it to another shop at this point is an option with the money I’ve spent. I’m going to buy a low mount alternator bracket and that should get the belt away from all of the hoses. This has been beyond frustrating and I’ll never do this kind of project again. The equipment is top notch, however the shop has been subpar with the service I’ve received.

Archived