Second Skin Audio

Original 18” tc sounds lms ultra

Parttine

Currently I’m running a 18” lms ultra that was reconed by previous owner with parts from lordofbass… it’s powered by a Taramps smart 3 bass. I have not had the opportunity to hear an lms ultra that was all original in person but recently came across someone selling a couple that are unused an in original boxes. Do they sound as good and perform as well as people claim they do? From what I’ve gathered rebuilt ones can go for $400-500 and originals $1000. It’s been a while since I’ve kept up on stuff like that so correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m having a tough time deciding if I should grab one of these while I have the chance. I know some people have said build quality wasn’t always consistent and have had failures and others say things like “best sounding sub I’ve ever heard” or “in a league of its own” etc. I want something that will sound clean and tolerate being in my daily driver. For around $1000 are there other options that i should be considering. The sub I was using before this rebuilt tc sounds was a 15” dss trident. I think my expectations were to high for the trident or maybe just unrealistic. It was geared more twords spl use and I was never able to get it sounding right 

I've had 5 Ultras so far lol...

My 1st install was a single ultra installed in a 5.5cf box with 2 PSI high excursion PR's & a jbl bpx2200.1. It absolutely slammed, sounded great doing it too. One of the PR's ripped apart while full tilt on the volume knob.. the ultra bottomed out & was destroyed. 

Found 4 more from a local guy who had them in his theater & currently in the process of building a C-pillar wall with 2 of them on two Arc 4000se Amps. Paid $3000 for the 4 of them. Did some testing last week and it was sooooo clean sounding. 

I think they're worth the money, considering woofers are easily $1000 nowadays anyway. I've heard of quality issues but haven't experienced any 🤞🏻

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Escape

Electrical: 275A Singer, 160ah XS/Yinlong lithium, 2,000farad XS Supercaps

Head Unit: Apple iPad Hi-Res Passthrough Topping d10s

Speakers: {ACTIVE} - (4) Arc Audio RS 6.0, (2) Arc Audio RS 4.0 & (2) Arc Audio RS 1.0

Sub Stage: (2) TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" 

Amplifiers: ARC Audio - (4)4200SE(comp modded, (2)4000SE 

Processing: Helix DSP Pro W/ Dash Mounted Director 

Forgot to add that I reconed the 1st LMS with PSI parts and threw it back in the same enclosure... it wasn't even close to the original 

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Escape

Electrical: 275A Singer, 160ah XS/Yinlong lithium, 2,000farad XS Supercaps

Head Unit: Apple iPad Hi-Res Passthrough Topping d10s

Speakers: {ACTIVE} - (4) Arc Audio RS 6.0, (2) Arc Audio RS 4.0 & (2) Arc Audio RS 1.0

Sub Stage: (2) TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" 

Amplifiers: ARC Audio - (4)4200SE(comp modded, (2)4000SE 

Processing: Helix DSP Pro W/ Dash Mounted Director 

Unless your buying them to just let them collect dust then the money can be spent better with other woofers that aren't outdated and have limitations imo. Not to mention due to the age I would be very concerned with spider (suspension) sag and the overall cone sitting lower than it should be which can result in failure.

Problem with them is spending that kind of money and if they ever blow you are essentially screwed because the lms ultra coil is very unique with how it is wound for a flat BL profile. The coils are getting harder and harder to find now days. Sure you can use a different traditional coil in them but those motors are designed specifically for that basically non existent coil and without it the sub is even a bigger turd.

I know if I had that sub and people are willing to pay that kind of price Id sell it in a heartbeat and say so long sucker!

Archived