Second Skin Audio

Help understanding Quasi-6th order series tuned bandpass enclosures

SOBclass1

I've been searching all (of my) weekend for any kind of in-depth answer that includes actual details on quasi-6th order series tuned bandpass enclosures and what the relaiton between the interchamber and exterior ports are.

I picked up a box from my best friend, it's a series tuned 6th order. I measured the interior dimensions of the box and the ports and have it all written down on the inside of the sealed section and can grab it tomorrow morning. 

I'm trying to find the relation between the interchamber port and exterior port. I don't know if I'm using the wrong search terms or what but I cannot for the life of me find anything other than basic "Probably just don't" which doesn't help because someone else already designed, built, and ran it with extremely impressive results. I need to figure this enclosure out so that I know if I can run the subwoofer I purchased in it, or if I should stick to what I do know and build the 4th order I designed for the subwoofer. Currently the plan is to hook up my oscope and grab my measurement microphone and just run sweeps to kind of guage where the sweet spot is, being that I'm on the Autism spectrum though my brain is telling me that I need to figure the damn thing out. So yeah, any help is largely appreciated, formulas would be absolutely amazing. 

typically the ports are tuned one octave lower than each other but now always the case, it really depends on what the said enclosure was built for, but if there is a sealed section and a ported section of the enclosure you bought then its not a 6th order, its a 4th. 6 order is ported box inside a ported box where as a 4th order is a sealed box inside a ported box basically.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:22 PM, audiofanaticz said:

typically the ports are tuned one octave lower than each other but now always the case, it really depends on what the said enclosure was built for, but if there is a sealed section and a ported section of the enclosure you bought then its not a 6th order, its a 4th. 6 order is ported box inside a ported box where as a 4th order is a sealed box inside a ported box basically.

I would really appreciate it if you read my post again and responded accordingly.

If you want a description on how 6th order series tuned enclosure works check US Patent Number: 4,875,546

No quick formulas though, but they are absolutely unnecessary these days now that we can use modeling software.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:04 PM, SOBclass1 said:

I would really appreciate it if you read my post again and responded accordingly.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:17 PM, SOBclass1 said:

it's a series tuned 6th order. I measured the interior dimensions of the box and the ports and have it all written down on the inside of the sealed section and can grab it tomorrow morning. 

Like I said, a 6th order bandpass series or parallel tuned doesn't have a sealed section so where ever you are writing these measurements down must be inside of a 4th order bandpass because that is what has a sealed section.

11 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

Trial and error… no modeling software needed lol….  I’m doing a 4th order tlIne box lol someday just to play around with a 5” sub

Someone seriously tried something like that but...... did the builder really knew what that thing does exactly?

Archived