Second Skin Audio

Skar evl 12’s

tcurry

Hello all.  Hopefully someone can help me out here.  I have a 2004 4Runner with two skar evl 12’s in a ported box.  I have a taramps 3000.1md amp at 1ohm wired with 0 gauge wire.  I have a shuriken 2400 watt battery in the back as well as a 300a fuse.  I have a die hard battery up front under the hood and apple CarPlay receiver.  One issue I’m having is that the subs I don’t feel like are loud enough/ don’t hit hard enough unless I’m close to max volume or my bass knob is all the way up.  Not much mirror flex at all or any shake to the windshield. Any advice to make my system stronger would be appreciated.  Thanks 

1 hour ago, tcurry said:

Hello all.  Hopefully someone can help me out here.  I have a 2004 4Runner with two skar evl 12’s in a ported box.  I have a taramps 3000.1md amp at 1ohm wired with 0 gauge wire.  I have a shuriken 2400 watt battery in the back as well as a 300a fuse.  I have a die hard battery up front under the hood and apple CarPlay receiver.  One issue I’m having is that the subs I don’t feel like are loud enough/ don’t hit hard enough unless I’m close to max volume or my bass knob is all the way up.  Not much mirror flex at all or any shake to the windshield. Any advice to make my system stronger would be appreciated.  Thanks 

Two 12s in such large vehicle are not going to be that impressive to start with. Try two vxf 15s instead.

Sure enough your sub enclosure may not be the best but you should post the design to see if something is wrong and then list the whole system and how is setup as well.

I appreciate the replies.  I have adjusted my gain to about 15-20% and it seems to hit loud and hard now.  I have to keep the bass knob around half way and watch volume for clipping though due to not having enough electrical I believe.  Still on stock alternator for now.  I’m not sure what my voltage is need a meter. Can anyone tell me what they think of this box? Should I keep it and just try to beef up my electrical more? 

83BED483-B2E5-4DEB-978A-5389B32B47F7.png

8FCB7B8E-302A-4A38-BE2A-292D690709CD.png

I appreciate the replies.  I have adjusted my gain to about 15-20% and it seems to hit loud and hard now.  I have to keep the bass knob around half way and watch volume for clipping though due to not having enough electrical I believe.  Im still on a stock alternator for now.  I’m not sure what my voltage is need a meter. Can anyone tell me what they think of this box? Should I keep it and just try to beef up my electrical more? 

You should install a cheap voltmeter across the terminals of your amp and make sure you are always above 12.5V as is needed by those taramps, even sudden dips may be bad for the amp, if over days you see low voltage that means you may need an alternator upgrade, if you don't have a big 3 upgrade do that one right now.

On the box without full measurements I can't tell you if it needs to be changed, it's just that it looks rather bad.

Big 3 can be run on stock alternator correct?  Would like to not replace alternator  right now.  I am also thinking of swapping my car battery for optima yellow top if that would help performance as well. If anyone knows of any good ported box for two skar evl 12’s can you direct me to it.  I am looking at this ground shaker box.  Thoughts on it? 

0FB7E423-CEB7-427B-AE6C-B546F938D990.png

Archived