Second Skin Audio

IDMAX 12 V4 Power related SQ question

DAN831111

Ive heard from someone but cant remember where that IDMAX 12's SQ starts to gets lost a fair bit after being powered beyond 750w RMS and that its SQ could be compared to the likes of a W7 when this happens. Is this true or whats your opinion on that pls, I really need to find this bit out?

• DAN831111 changed the title to IDMAX 12 V4 Power related SQ question

A sub can start losing sound quality as it reaches it's mechanical limits, but reaching mechanical limits not only depends on power but also on box size, box type, frequency being played and other factors. Saying that just reaching some specific watts will degrade sound quality of a sub is a ridiculous claim.

ok fair enough I totally get what you mean I think it was probably more of a vague statement just stating the sq seems to always start to drop off a fair bit after around that mark. i guess you would say giving an IDMAX 12 1000wrms is taking it to its not only its rated limits but also its mechanical limits as Ive heard they often dont seem to be able to handle much over the 1k mark.

from what i mostly read with IDMAX 12 i would be guessing they mean ported at whatever cubes is usually said to be its best size for it, but assuming the statement probably meant for sealed also, and whatever.

I just need to know if if there is validity at all to this claim, anybody who has had the driver surely would have a rough idea for sure if this quite obviously does or does not happen. Im sure if it does happen it still is a nice sounding sub, it just bcos youre feeding it so much amps that it happens. I just need to consider this factor before my next build.

anybody who might have experience with this particular sub if the SQ drops at around 1000w and if so how much of it quality does it retain?

Archived