Sundown Audio

Gain match or run at 2 ohms. Bought 2 4 ohm subs, decided i wanted 4 instead.

rgriffin83

Help please. I wanted to put 2 sundown x8s under my truck seat, bought them and then decided i wanted 4 instead so now i have 4 4ohm dvc x8v3s and 1 soundqubed 2250d. Whats my best options here? Get another sq2250 and have a shop gain match them on 2 subs a piece or get a decent amp that will do around 4k rms at 2 ohms? The taramps smart 3k gets close i think.

1 15" FI BTL N2

AQ2200d

Big 3

Pioneer head unit

kinetik 1200 (under the hood)

kinetik 2400 (dedicated to the sub)

Mids and highs coming soon!

The first question I have to ask is can your vehicles electrical handle that kind of wattage. 

If it can, then I say run 2 amps. Buying another would be a lot cheaper than buying a new one to run all 4 at 2 ohm. 

I don't know how you set your gain on your amplifier, but just to run through your options, a DD-1/DD-1+ is the best way in my opinion. Though pricey, I know. Then gain match the 2 using a CC-1. Not everyone has access to those tools though. Second would be buying an oscilloscope. You can get them for not a lot of money nowadays. Nothing too fancy, just one that'll do what you need it to. Third, at least, use a digital multimeter. Then to gain match, just match the 2 output voltages of the amplifiers. No need to take it to a shop and pay them to do it if you don't have to. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Thanks, Ill have a 390 alt amp (mechman) and a sufficient battery by the time I install. 1200wrms not too much to put on an x8v3 i hope though.

1 15" FI BTL N2

AQ2200d

Big 3

Pioneer head unit

I think if you make sure your gain is set properly, I don't think you'll have any problems with that power. Just stay away from clipping and playing too much lower than the enclosures tuning, and you'll be fine

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

id go with one amp run it at 2 ohms like the sundown sfb8000, 5000rms 2ohms  or sfb5000 3200rms  2 ohms,  there's a yardsale going on right now no warranty but guaranteed not d.o.a   how many watts rms are the x8s website doesnt say

I wanted to do that but the 5k @ 2 ohms might be too much. The x8s are 800wrms but can probably handle around 11 or 1200 rms. The sfb clamps at like 6200 wrms though which would be too much for 4 of them. Every amp i find is either too much or not enough. Also would need electrical for a 8k amp as opposed to 4k watts if i went that route.   Is there any real disadvantage to running to and gain matching?

1 15" FI BTL N2

AQ2200d

Big 3

Pioneer head unit

The sfb5000 is still only rated at 3200 rms at 2 ohms which you will be running it at and 800x4 is 3200 watts  you will be fine if you set the gain properly… and it got that clamped at 1 ohm right. Wonder if there is  a ad-1 video of this amp… 

these things are rated at 800wrms but theyre highly underrated from what everyone says. I will have upgraded electrical and a gately box so i think running them and 800 rms would be a good bit underpowered for the setup.

1 15" FI BTL N2

AQ2200d

Big 3

Pioneer head unit

The issue with 8s (puke) isnt the thermal cap, its the soft parts, that will fail. 

Edit- and, where are getting that the amp can do that number, at that load.??

Remember the amp dyno vids, are on a reactive load. 

gotcha, yea sundowns amp dyno video of the 5k is where i got the number from. Is that not accurate?

1 15" FI BTL N2

AQ2200d

Big 3

Pioneer head unit

Archived