Sonic Electronix

Subwoofers get louder at higher volumes

I have a 2018 Ram 1500 and I just got a set of 12" JL W3V3 with an Audison SR1.500 amp and LC2i Pro installed and I’ve noticed that when I listen at higher volumes that the subwoofers get much louder and stronger than at lower volumes. The subwoofers will stay very loud until I lower the music volume again. Or if I keep it at a high volume then the subwoofers will go back and forth between how they usually sound and very loud. It also seems that it happens only with certain songs, usually ones with strong bass. What should I look at to try and get this fixed?

4 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

It sounds to me like when your gain was set, the head unit volume was low. Did you set your gain? Or did a shop do it? 

I had a shop install it but was hoping it would be something I could fix, should I try lowering the gain a little?

You can do it yourself. 

The best way to do it would be to buy a DD-1. Though, I understand it's expensive. It really is the best and easiest way to set your gain and find what the max, undistorded volume of your head unit is. 

Second best way would be to purchase an oscilloscope. You can find them fairly inexpensive, and there are tons of tutorials on YouTube on how to set up your system with one. 

Our, you can always just go the digital multimeter route. Nothing wrong with that. Just you'd be setting up your system with the volume at ¾ the max, and hoping you're not getting any distortion. But it will definitely do the trick. 

Sorry for the long answer, but short answer, you can try lowering the gain. With the gain lower, when you turn up the volume, it should make it more fluid and less instant

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

9 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

You can do it yourself. 

The best way to do it would be to buy a DD-1. Though, I understand it's expensive. It really is the best and easiest way to set your gain and find what the max, undistorded volume of your head unit is. 

Second best way would be to purchase an oscilloscope. You can find them fairly inexpensive, and there are tons of tutorials on YouTube on how to set up your system with one. 

Our, you can always just go the digital multimeter route. Nothing wrong with that. Just you'd be setting up your system with the volume at ¾ the max, and hoping you're not getting any distortion. But it will definitely do the trick. 

Sorry for the long answer, but short answer, you can try lowering the gain. With the gain lower, when you turn up the volume, it should make it more fluid and less instant

Awesome I'll look into all those and see if I can get better results, if not then it looks like I'll have to take a trip back to the shop. I appreciate your help.

As you turn up the volume the subwoofers should get louder and stronger, that is normal, but if they are being indecisive that really sounds like a signal issue and a common problem when using factory radios (especially in newish vehicles) due to the factory preprogrammed eq curves that you can't change and sometimes as you turn the radio up past a certain volume the radio and or factory amps are designed to cut or lower certain frequencies while boosting others. In some vehicles that is done actively by listening to the interior sounds of the vehicle with a mic. A bunch of Dodge vehicles have something calle ANC (active noise canceling) and will send out of phase signals through the stereo to drown out unwanted interior noises. So it really depends where they got the signal for the LC2i.
I came across that issue in a fairly heavily modified 2018 Jeep Trackhawk that I put a single Alpine Type X 12 and a 1200 watt rms amp in. I mad a couple trips to this customer to hear the problem that he heard but never could reproduce it until I drove it myself because the problem was only there when the doors were closed and the mic was picking up the loud straight piped exhaust and sending an out of phase signal through the now louder system. Why I didn't come across it sooner is because when I was troubleshooting and in and out of the vehicle with doors open the ANC system is disabled. Unplugging the mic fixed that problem.

Archived