Sonic Electronix

Looking for advise for my daily driver ... Old school Fosgate fan / employee in late 80's

Growing up in Arizona in the 80's like many went to work at fosgate for employee discounts for my ride :)

Now that I am in my late 40's I still enjoy loud clear music which leads me to my issues with current ride. I spend hours a day running down the freeways with little to do other than listen to tunes.

Current truck:  2018 Chevy 2500HD crew cab with mudders for that clean background hum that only disappears when tunes up.

Truck has 2 x Optima AGM Yellow Top DH6 800CCA with regulator

Currently has 190 amp Alternator with bracket and harness for second not installed and of course is controlled by computer .

Pioneer 4500NEX head unit - been happy with

Power wire is Rockford Fosgate RFK1  1/0 with dual chassis grounds to amp

Amplified is Rockford Fosgate 25 to life Power 1000   ( I own 2 with second in my wifes jeep willy)

Front and back door components are again Rockford Fosgate Power Edition T2652-S's 

Subs are Dual Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-10's under back seat.

So the issue currently is two parts. Even with HLED headlights and LED light bars for Amber etc I still watch battery drop from 14V to 10ish under heavy volume while driving in bass heavy songs. I am debating on adding second 190 as my truck spends a lot of time at idle where alternator output is lower.  

Second issue is distortion which is due to needing to adjust through the system. If any of you know Silverado's and the 25 to life Power 1000 it was not a simple thing to make enough room for the amp behind the rear seat. It required shaving part of the seat brackets and welding new supports .  To make any adjustments I have to pull the rear seat completely out as well as sub enclosure.  I have had zero heat issues as I tapped into one of the rear ac vent ducting and forced that air across the amp removing a lot of the heat. I am pretty rusty in adjusting inputs and crossovers as well as gains.  I was thinking of buying one of SMD's kits to do this. 

I am open to suggestions and of course I know there is better components than the ones I currently have however I would like to get my current dialed in and in the future may replace components over time.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I did the big 3 a while back however it got me thinking about engine ground as I had some work done including engine mounts. I found it contaminated so I clean and torgued it down and it seems better.

On the T2652-S 's they are rated at 100RMS at 4 Ohm and 200 peak. Running on the Power 1000 @ 4 ohm it says output 50rms but I don't have birth sheet to know how much it actually is.  The amp is rated at 200rms at 4 Ohm bridged so wondering if bridging will gain anything or simply over power the components?

You can bridge the amp, I assume you just have the front set wired to the front channels and the rear set wired to the rear channels? If you only used 1 channel from front and 1 from rear then yea bridge that thing and get 4 times the power. As for over powering the comp sets if you set the amp with an o scope or tools such as the smd tools you can adjust (fine tune) power and ensure clean power with no distortion and it should be considerably louder!

• 8 months later...

Well today the 25 to life power 1000 died....   I few days ago I heard a engine whine while volume was at 0...   Then today I turned up some tunes but only sub and rear driver door was playing. The Amp went into protect. I shut truck off then after a minute started truck. I smelt a faint burning smell and looked back in time to see an arc under amp housing. It did not blow the 250A fuse at amp nor under hood.   I will be sending the amp in to tempe for repair at a third party shop.

I will check all the wiring this weekend to see if I can find anything?   Thoughts and the only reason I was able to see the amp as I had the back seast out getting new leather installed.  Was thinking of replaicing the amp...  Suggestions... Was thinking of staying 5 channel with new power 1000 or what do you guy recommend?   I will be keeping existing speakers mentioned above... Thanks

Maybe a P1000X1bd for subs and a T400X4ad for doors

Edited by mcalvin

Reading a bit your first post very much looks like your alternator is underperforming or is plain insufficient, fixing that would be first in my list. no amount of extra batteries will help, also verifying all your power and signal wiring is a must, the location where you install the amp should transmit a lot of vibration to it.

It's very important that you ask for an explanation on the mode of failure of the amp, Ideal installation location is a ventilated amp rack (isolated from the sub box) and keep your voltage at the amp terminals at at least 12V under any conditions. gains should be set properly. Installation issues frequently end up equipment damage.