RCA cable specs

Rather drastic, the higher the impedance the more voltage drop you will have from the front of your rca cable to the rear. 
So say your deck puts out 2 volts on the preout and you have a high impedance cable that 2 volt signal may only be 1 volt by the time it makes it to your amp.
Where as with a low impedance cable it may only be 1.7 volts by the time the signal makes it to your amp.
Now these numbers are just for an idea, you would actually have to test the voltage drop from cable a vs cable b in the car hooked up to see the real world difference.

I tested a new 1.5 foot Certified Bassheads rca cable at 0.12 ohms against some well used 3 foot SMD rca cables that came in at 0.05 ohms, vs a well used 6 foot SMD rca cables 0.09 ohms.
Longer wire typically means more potential for voltage drop but the 6 foot SMD cables that came in lower than the CB cables that were 4 times shorter was rather interesting.
I have some longer 18 foot SMD cables that only read some where around 0.18 ohms iirc as well.

Not only will the wire length and gauge be a factor in the results, but the type solder being used to connect the ends to the wire (ideally silver solder), and the actual rca plugs being used as well.
Some brands don't even solder the connections and just use a generic crimp, I bought some a 2 channel and 4 channel sets of Knukonceptz Karma cables a long time ago and the plug fell off the cable once I took them out, I didn't even bother using them even though the other cables appeared to be fine. I'm sure they fixed that issue by now though, or so I'd hope.

Here is a short live video I did in 2016 testing the above 3 cables.
https://www.facebook.com/audiofanaticz/videos/1265875193446793/?l=4871178961006316123

Though I will say its not worth going batshit crazy for nice nice cables like some that are sold that cost crazy amounts of money (like these home theater guys be foolishly doing). There is a point where you hit that wall of cost to performance. I probably wouldn't spend over $75 per long set of cables, and shot for something in the $25-$50 range. Anything more at that point Id just buy the materials to make them myself because it's rather easy to do, and then you can make them to the actual length you need without access being coiled up.

Archived