To DSP or Not to DSP

jmanjr82

On 9/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, pnutz37 said:

I agree with Kyblack76. DSP is the way to go. Some are easier to use than others.

I currently run the Helix DSP3s. I ran their DSP Pro previous to this.

I'm not sure about other DSP's but the depending on the controller you use (based on manufacturers platform), you can have multiple set ups instead of having to constantly adjust your settings for the music you're listening to.

I currently have 2 set ups. SPL for burps only and then a daily. I have since purchased their Conductor which allows 10 set ups to be saved. Most of what I use is to adjust bass levels to the types of music I listen to.

The next unit i run, will be a HELIX model. The Conductor, and the Director remotes are super slick/cleaver. I will have a ultra, or pro, or some helix unit,.... soon. Good shit mate. 

On 10/1/2022 at 2:10 AM, Kyblack76 said:

The next unit i run, will be a HELIX model. The Conductor, and the Director remotes are super slick/cleaver. I will have a ultra, or pro, or some helix unit,.... soon. Good shit mate. 

Don’t get the director if you are running anything that’s 140 db and louder on a consistent basis. There’s a spring / potentiometer issue that will come up. Happened to me. Had to send back to for warranty but won’t use for a loud build 

3 hours ago, jmanjr82 said:

Good info. Do you by chance have pics of your helix installed? I have questions and reservations on a dsp in general. I learn best visually, but I would have follow up questions as well.

I don't have any photos of it installed where it is located right now. I have it hidden and not easily accessed.  I am going to be doing a tear down and change my current set up. I could take a photo when I start the process. It's going to be approximately 2 weeks before I do though.

3 hours ago, jmanjr82 said:

All good just curious. So you just set it forget it and anything further you do via bt?

There's a USB cable from the DSP and you plug it into your laptop.

You can do all your adjusting from there (That's for the Helix specifically). It's all software based for any changes you want to make to the EQ, DB level adjustment for the speakers after your gains have been set (For example, I have my tweeters set at -7.5 db, mids at -10 db). All my gains were scoped at 0 db and we made the adjustments for when music is playing. You have RTA for all speakers (including subwoofer). Many more features that I don't even get into. It also has a digital clipping notification so you'll know if you're clipping while you're adjusting your speaker levels on the software.

Archived