To DSP or Not to DSP

jmanjr82

Long time member finally coming back to build a system. I have never used a DSP in previous systems, but it seems to be the thing to do. I have subs and sub amp already (2 AB VFL 18s & Taramps Bass 15k). I am open to mids/highs and mids/highs amp(s). So to start I guess my thought is to have 1 6.5s in each door and 1 3.5in tweet per door. Vehicle is 2005 Explorer. So my thought is 1 the dsp should take the pre amp volts (3 sets 4volt) of the hu (kenwood ddx376bt)  increase it and send/Split higher voltage to the amps which should be more efficient and by using a DSP it should give me better control over the mids and highs correct? Let's say I was running 4 mids and 4 tweets should I do 1 amp for the mids and 1 amp for the highs or 1 amp total? Will this matter much when using a DSP?

HU, Subs, Sub amp, lithium I have. Mechman doesn't offer anything for my explorer per email I got from Matt Young, Singer is the only one to respond so I went with his power edge alt it's rated for 240a at idle. Mids/highs an amp I'm open to same for dsp I believe that's everything. Please feel free to ask any questions as it helps me learn also. 

I love control. I want, and will always have it. I love again, control, so, for me, yes, i will run a DSP in every build i ever have. Unlike yester-year, they are now, wicked cheap, wicked available, and best of all, they WORK.  The times of paying 1100 bones for some control, is over.  At the moment, im running the 408. It has bluetooth control/connection, and, for me, its been fucking great. 

History -  I had the RF 360.1, .2, .3.  Four units from Audison, a Ampere Audio unit, maybe half a dozen Audio Control, and many others. For me, i want control. From pass bands, cuts, slopes, time alingment, EQ, saving and loading different presets, on and on and on. And again, this day and age, the things fucking connect, (back in the day, just gettting to connect to your unit, could pose a billion issues, let alone saving a preset, adjustments, and such) and they just flat out work. 

For me i wont run a system with out one. Ever. But, maybe for me, now its super easy, and i could see getting into one, a bit of a challenge. Again, you are in control. You fuck up once, and your tweeters are smoked. You put the wrong high pass on the tweets, welp, it will do what you say, and you can EASILY burn shit up. But, for me,..... ill never ever not have one. Cheers

KB

Awesome thank you for the input. I assume you are using the Dayton Audio DSP 408? I'm all for learning I added information to the original post as well. Basically when I competed I had a front stage, but never anything really good I think best was like 1 6.5 and 1 tweet in the front doors and just some coax for rear fill and it was pretty clear and loud, but I am sure that isn't going to cut it now especially with what I am building.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, jmanjr82 said:

Awesome thank you for the input. I assume you are using the Dayton Audio DSP 408? I'm all for learning I added information to the original post as well. Basically when I competed I had a front stage, but never anything really good I think best was like 1 6.5 and 1 tweet in the front doors and just some coax for rear fill and it was pretty clear and loud, but I am sure that isn't going to cut it now especially with what I am building.

Yes sir. My current build has a DA 408 in it, and dude, lol, the lil thing has been flawless for me. Ive seen many bitch about it. But for me, its been fucking great. I will be getting a HELIX model very soon. But, this cheap thing has done great for me. Zero complaints. Best of luck mate. 

I agree with Kyblack76. DSP is the way to go. Some are easier to use than others.

I currently run the Helix DSP3s. I ran their DSP Pro previous to this.

I'm not sure about other DSP's but the depending on the controller you use (based on manufacturers platform), you can have multiple set ups instead of having to constantly adjust your settings for the music you're listening to.

I currently have 2 set ups. SPL for burps only and then a daily. I have since purchased their Conductor which allows 10 set ups to be saved. Most of what I use is to adjust bass levels to the types of music I listen to.

Good info guys keep it coming! I like that idea. What do you mean by controller? I literally know zero about DSPs. So if a DSP has 1 input and several outputs does it matter what you use for the input? Example can you just run rca from the hu sub out to the dsp in and that's all you need? I am leaning towards running 1 4 channel 2 channels for mids and 2 channels for tweets for simplicity. If I need more then I can just double everything.

2 hours ago, jmanjr82 said:

Good info guys keep it coming! I like that idea. What do you mean by controller? I literally know zero about DSPs. So if a DSP has 1 input and several outputs does it matter what you use for the input? Example can you just run rca from the hu sub out to the dsp in and that's all you need? I am leaning towards running 1 4 channel 2 channels for mids and 2 channels for tweets for simplicity. If I need more then I can just double everything.

A controller is what does master volume and usually there's a separate knob/function for bass or it can be one button where when you push it in it swaps over to the sub volume.

image.jpeg.fbb206ac1567f2b3eda384d9aec70624.jpeg

The mode button switches between tunes.

You're also correct in how it works (For my helix anyway). Single RCA in to the DSP and your output from the DSP goes to the amplifiers. I had a 10 channel and have since downsized to 8 channel. Based on what you're wanting to do, a 6 channel would be ideal, 2 channels for mids, 2 channels for highs and then sub channel.

I know that the helix DSP's are more expensive than most but they make up for it with a fairly easy format to do the tuning, RTA, etc

30 minutes ago, jmanjr82 said:

Just checked the helix dsps and yes they are pricey. I don't mind spending $, but I am not sure I need to spend that much first time out. I been looking at the prv 2.8x. I would want to be around the $300 mark.

The price point is definitely on the higher side. I've been lucky to  have gotten them at good prices. But it's something to think about for another build or the future.

Archived