Needed opinion asap.

So driving home for 1/2 hr then my sub kicks in and out. Music still plays. What causing this? Rf 1500bdcp amp. 4g ground to frame truck  it like 12in  at most. Soo the ground wire going in the amp to my stinger voltmeter melted a lil.  It when I got home and touched everything the amp was warm and the 2 ground wires was really hot to touch. What caused this?  Have 2 batteries with fuses. Agm group 31 been running this system for 5 yrs now no problems till now. Gains was set properly with the smd.

Shakin not Stirred....my buildhttp://www.stevemead...ngle-cab-build/412 CVX

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, killerc998 said:

Try using bigger wire. Might have been too much current for the wire and burned it internally.  

Here another problem  went to redo and check the ground wire on the amp. Loosened all the way and I don't know I'm the wire melted or not cause it won't come out. Also gonna be hard to use reducer cause the power connection right next  to it. I'll try look around at reducers that won't ground the power 

Shakin not Stirred....my buildhttp://www.stevemead...ngle-cab-build/412 CVX

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

Loose connection explains the heat

Depending on how hot it got, you might have to work it back and forth / twist it to get the thing out. Once removed, inspect the terminal. You might have to wrap some sand paper around a pencil eraser and clean it up.

tbh... You don't need 0ga for this amp. That wasn't the cause of failure here. I don't think you'd gain much by going that route.

Use good 4ga ofc, preferably tinned. Put the set screws down nice and snug. Check your connections periodically. You should be going over them daily after a new install for 2-3 times. Then once again at some sort of fixed interval. Every 6mo, every oil change, etc. Pick something that works for you and make sure everything's tight, clean, and corrosion free.

Why now?
Because you live on an island surround by saltwater. 

Its most likely corrosion which can also cause heat and things to melt like Snow said. 

Due to you being in Hawaii silver tinned OFC (aka marine grade wire) is a must. Solid lugs that are crimped and covered with adhesive lined heatshrink over the solid lugs is also a must due to where you live.

I may be confused. I meant upgrade to 1/0 for the Batts and if your already running 1/0 then might as well carry that over to the amp and use reducers to get the wire into the amp. You stated 2 grounds correct? What 2 grounds? Do you have matching power wires for those grounds? 

Archived