Daily driver, SQ in a large luxury sedan

gutsash

Hello everyone! I am in the market for my mid life crisis project car, and I'm wanting to do a very respectable SQ install and I need a bunch of advice. I am comfortable and competent with fiberglass/wood/metal and structural fabrication, but I'm way out of date on the current "good" equipment.

This will be for a, used, flagship luxury sedan. Think 7 series, S-class, A8.

The vehicle is about 8 months to a year out from now so I've got time to plan and shop for deals.

I want to leave the factory system completely in place, and work with/around it. My thought is a spare mobile device as the source, going directly to the DSP.

I will strip and sound deaden the car myself. I will fabricate and install myself, will have to outsource the tuning to a competent shop because I have none of that equipment nor knowledge (but I'm open buying the stuff myself, and learning, if it can be sourced for not too much money. No idea what that gear costs, but I love to tinker.)

In the closet I have 2 older JL 12W6V2 that I've been holding onto for a rainy day that I would like to use here. I have a single JL 500/1, and open to purchasing a second 500/1 if needed. Plan is to mount the two subs directly underneath the rear deck firing into the cabin, and I am going to try both a braced IB and a sealed enclosure here. I have never heard IB in person so my only concern is will the output be "enough". I have the time and resources to try both installs and decide at that point before finishing out the trunk.

I prefer to have rear fill, but I'll cross that bridge at a later point in time.

My questions boil down to the front stage. Obviously want something that complements and blends well with the subwoofers in the rear. I'm assuming a three piece front is the way to go here with bass down in the kick panels, aimed tweeters on the a-pillars...mids in the dash reflecting off the windshield? Or is it preferred to mount them lower down on the a-pillars as well?

Can I get the right front stage gear including amp for ~$1,000 or do I need to up that budget? I don't plan on competing but I want to do it right one time and I'm willing to spend the money, within reason, if the WOW factor is there.

I clicked on this because I saw DD SQ then saw all the JL love and puked in my mouth and stopped reading. Thought you were going with a better brand then just one that says 100 watts means 100 watts and blows at  110. There are way more brands out there then mainstream (JL) way over priced and shit quality. You can spend half the money and have a great system with the brands people use on this site. Sundown, Skar, DD, B2, DC, and many more just read the advertisements these companies say 500 watts and you can put 1000watts all day clean power , been in car audio for over 20yrs and when JL says 500watts it blows at 600. Skar RP line is budget friendly. 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

14 hours ago, Ron36 said:

I clicked on this because I saw DD SQ then saw all the JL love and puked in my mouth and stopped reading. Thought you were going with a better brand then just one that says 100 watts means 100 watts and blows at  110. There are way more brands out there then mainstream (JL) way over priced and shit quality. You can spend half the money and have a great system with the brands people use on this site. Sundown, Skar, DD, B2, DC, and many more just read the advertisements these companies say 500 watts and you can put 1000watts all day clean power , been in car audio for over 20yrs and when JL says 500watts it blows at 600. Skar RP line is budget friendly. 

Lighten up there Francis. The post wasn't full of JL love. I said I have them sitting in the closet and would like to use them?

They were in a used car that I bought in 2005, I pulled them a few years later when I sold the car.

• gutsash changed the title to Daily driver, SQ in a large luxury sedan
22 hours ago, Ron36 said:

Shit on JL but praise Skarbage....actual R&D vs Chinese buildhouse bullshit :D

On topic, I'd run another 500/1 so each sub gets one. Not enough power for the both. JL also makes really nice VX line amps (multi & single channel amps with built in DSP), I have one and love it though Audiocontrol has similar amps with more bang for buck. Either would work great for implementing into a factory system. 

For mids/highs you can look at Audiofrog and Focal, just to name a couple. 

Def wouldn't fire at the windshield, I have a dashpad to help reflection off glass firing onto plastic dashboard. Try going A Pillar for Tweets (also Mids if you go 3 way set).

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

JL isn’t garbage but for the price of 1 12 you can buy 3 -12’s and be 3 times as loud. My JL experience has been 600 watts means if you run 700 it blows  to shit and brands that advertise on this site like Skar, Sundown and many other know that 600watts really means 1k and they stick to that at half the price. You can blow your money however you want. Probably shouldn’t diss brands that actually pay to advertise on this site . Fuck JL

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Nothing wrong with JL listing actual specs instead of under rating them (or over building stuff). I’ll never understand the JL hate. They make some incredible stuff that is pretty unique and happens to sound incredible as well. Nothing wrong with sundown, dc, b2, etc… either. Save the hate for companies that make a 100watt amp and sell it as a 2000watt amp. I’d much rather have JL type companies that provides accurate specs or Sundown types that under rate (or over build) stuff. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived