Second Skin Audio

Sundown Audio X12 V2 - Enclosure Feedback Request

I don't know how you can draw stuff up so nice like that Joe, that would seriously take me like an hour plus to do!!
I just rough draw a layout with pencil and paper on boxes I build and thats always been good enough for me, but then again I guess thats all I really need because I know the assembly order and which panel attaches to which panel on what side because I've been building long enough and can just see it in my brain without actual blueprints. 

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for the time and effort in your responses. I really do appreciate it!

Honestly that split T-port idea seems like more of a pain than it might be worth, on top of trying to overcomplicate things. I agree that simplifying and focusing on performance is the route - similar to what you both have suggested here.

As a final questions and reference, here is a SketchUp of doing the square port idea and just exiting the corner and sharing two walls. I have the dimensions to fit the port entrance without the need for a second bend. I'd include small 45's and roundovers.
https://imgur.com/a/dKJwQsO

Could you see any real advantage/disadvantage to going with the square shape instead of a standard slot? My thoughts were really just less surface area inside of the port for the air to pass over as it is square vs. rectangle. I am also willing to have the sub all the way over on the opposite end of the enclosure from the port entrance. I'd also gain about 4.50in^2 of port area to 48.75in^2 total. (Possibly a negligible difference at this point.)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

All the extra couple of cuts to make a square port and the additional time to assemble it compared to a just putting 2 similar sized pieces pieces together for a standard L port that's the full height isn't really worth it.
You're talking about 140 additional square inches of surface area between the 2 if you go with the simple L port, its not going to make much of a difference at all. Let alone something I would be worrying about in an musical application or even on the meter because it would be like 1/10 of a db if that I bet if you were to build both and test both boxes. 
Plus a full height port is going to help stiffen the box and act some what as a brace between the bottom of the box and top baffle of the box, where as a square port won't add much structural integrity at all.
Joes design seems fairly stout and already giving slightly more port area and box net volume than the default design Sundown advertises for their sub on their site so that should be a nice small bump in efficiency right there, but at the end of the day its your build.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:12 PM, Cashdollar2009 said:

Hey everyone,

I am planning a build in my 2010 Honda Crosstour and have worked up a design using the max dimensions that I'd like to try to stick to. I am looking at picking up one of the D4S JP23's and running at 1-ohm. Stock alternator - Big 3, Deka 9a34 underhood and Deka 9a31 in the rear for reserve. With stock alternator, I do not see the benefit of trying to drop to 0.5-ohm. Would love the extra power, but hoping this will be enough at 1-ohm in this space for this subwoofer.

With space constraints, I'd like to steer towards an aeroport. In doing research I was having a bit of trouble finding suggestions on using an aeroport in regards to port area for this subwoofer. It seems with slot port designs, the consensus was around running port area on the higher side. Example: 40in^2 for 2.5ft^2 --> 16in^2 per ft^3. I'm aware that calculating per ft^3 isn't a rule, but I tried to translate that to basic aeroport rules I'm familiar with and using a 6" aeroport in 2.5ft^3, I came up with around 11in^2 per ft^3 which in the past for me has seemed to be the upper end of general aeroport port ratio on recommendations.

I do not have much experience with the Sundown X-Series specifically, so I am wide open to feedback or suggestions.

Net Volume: 2.54ft^3

Tuning Frequency: 32.21Hz

Port Area: 28.26in^2

Port Area Per Foot: 11.13in^2

Sundown X12 V2 Enclosure SketchUp.JPG

Hit up Juan Lorenzo from houston audio lab! He designs all my boxes and does a fantastic job

Just now, Mattc43 said:

Hit up Juan Lorenzo from houston audio lab! He designs all my boxes and does a fantastic job

I run the xv2 15s in my car now (two of them on a 5k). They are beasts, can take a serious beating and are very loud. My box is tuned to 30 and peaks at 32. I did a 150.1 at 32hz in an 8.5cube no wall with mediocre voltage (14.6 to 12.4:/)

Archived