Wire lasting

On 11/15/2022 at 6:12 PM, BassMunky said:

How long does wire last ofc, CCA.

Range from 14ga to 1/0 

I had my wire for my system for over 10 years..

periodically check for corrosion  for under hood battery connections  ,  for lug connections always use glue lined heat shrink , for direct wire connections (set screw type) use a wire ferrule with heat shrink to better protect wire from moisture .

^^ good advice

Wire doesn't degrade unless something causes it to.

CCA is a fair bit more sensitive to this on account of galvanic corrosion behavior + aluminum/s propensity to form oxide layers in air. Old aluminum home wiring needs grease in the connections for that reason.

OFC is more robust in this regard. Tinned OFC, even more so. But even still - your connections should be sealed. Good terminations are gas-tight and impermeable. Either soldered, or crimped with closed-ended lugs, and covered with adhesive lined heat shrink. Normal 'decorative' heat shrink has no place under the hood IMO. If you really need to, toss some (high temp) hot glue in the connection before you put heat shrink over it - that accomplishes the same thing with respect to sealing.

Aside from that.... Just inspect stuff periodically. Keep your wires off of sharp objects. Any rub-points should be bolstered with some loom to prevent frictional wear.

On 11/15/2022 at 6:12 PM, BassMunky said:

How long does wire last ofc, CCA.

Range from 14ga to 1/0 

I had my wire for my system for over 10 years..

remember , CCA is only good for voice coils !!! 😁

Archived