CC1 vs SIA-3500, Round 1, FIGHT

Hey everyone! I have a question for you. I was setting the subsonic on my SIA-3500 & I was using the SMD CC1, it had slipped off my seat & the connector on the top of the CC1 touched the amp & there was a big spark! Absolutely scared me but it was so fast & nothing happened to either device as far as I can tell. I finished setting everything up & all is well. So I guess the rca connection dongle on the CC1 can spark on the amp housing since it is a full bridge amp? Please note my speakers were not connected, this was just a big ass spark when touching the amp & the connector on the CC1. It did not touch the positive, it just touched the housing of the amp. Could there be internal damage to either or am I good? You would think the exposed section on the dongle is ground & no spark would happen but maybe since this amp is full bridge, I think I heard Barevids mention that these full bridge amps alternate the current or something, not sure.

Please have a sleeve or heat shrink added to the rca dongles on all SMD amp tuning devices. Full bridge amps do seem to alternate the positive on the negative which can cause a short if the dongle touches the amp if I am understanding this correctly. Not sure how to tag Steve & or D’Amore.

Explanation and rambling below.

tl;dr, speaker outputs are high voltage, amp casing is ground. Treat it accordingly. If everything still works, I doubt there's any long standing damage to either device.

A bit of heat shrink isn't a bad idea, or even a fully insulated connector. Will tag @TonyD'Amore so he can see this.

Full bridge, half bridge, class D, AB, etc are all the same in this regard

The rails on the amp are energized, and the amp casing is, electrically, a ground.

Full bridge / half bridge within this context only refers to if the voltage modulation (signal) happens on one terminal, or both. But regardless, they're both energized. They need to be. Having one terminal at "0v" and the other terminal at any other voltage would just be like wiring a battery to your speaker - DC offset.

negative/positive doesn't really exist here as we normally think about negative and positive.... It's just to keep phase consistent, so just bear that in mind when I talk about this. Imagine both pos and neg are charged to 40v. How do you move the driver forward? Positive needs to increase to >40v, so that the ΔV is positive. So, if you play a signal that has an amplitude of 20v, your positive would need to be 60v, and your negative would remain 40v. ΔV = 60v-40v=20v.

Then on the other half of the sine wave, where the driver needs to move backwards, positive would be reduced to 20v, so ΔV = 20v-40v=-20v.

Whether this is done through one of the output terminals, or both, doesn't matter for the sake of this context. The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of the amplifier design, your speaker terminals should be treated as an energized, high voltage source. Hell, the large 12kw+ amplifiers put out more voltage than you'd get at a wall socket. They become a genuine electrical hazard if you start reaching around and fiddling with stuff wile the system is on.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1
  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1