Second Skin Audio

FI Audio 15” SSD Magnet cracked?!

West1

Hello.
I purchased a 15” SSD from FI around April 2022. Yesterday I got in my Tahoe and warmed it up in my garage like normal (winter or summer time). After about 10 min, I decided to leave home. Pulling out, I set my bass knob from zero to full tilt as I was going to listen to spanish music. The moment the bass knob was moved from zero (HU around 10% volume, im still pulling out of driveway), my sub sounds terrible?!

I stop and drive back in my garage and start to trouble shoot and eventually remove the sub. To my surprise, the magnet is cracked! It’s the Holidays and my granddaughter is staying with us so I’ve had the bass knob turned all the way off and Bass at stock Eq at -9. Thursday evening was the last time I had power to the sub and zero distortion or issues. Eq was and still is at -9, normal playing is at -0.

Im blown away that the magnet randomly cracked. I reached out to FI via FB messenger and was told this happens when it’s cold and sub is played full blast (which I know is 100% false in this case especially since I always warm my truck up w/auto heating).

I had a follow up message that it’s an old sub and is not warranted and could ask the boss/owner for a quote to repair (not specific words, just summarizing).

My question is, is this normal for sub magnets to randomly crack?
Is it normal for subs under warranty to not be warranted?

Thank you for your feedback and Merry Christmas everyone!!!

B8B58AE4-7A50-4102-B4B8-28604A9675C8.jpeg

4 hours ago, Joe X said:

From user error / out of warranty to really was our fault / getting replaced sounds like you did some real magic.

Better for Fi though because nowhere they ever say "can break if used in cold weather".

user error, our fault and doing some real magic?

I guess it Troll-o’clock.

• 2 weeks later...

The OG looked like a double stack, vs single you got, but, right on. What where the marks on the basket from the original install???? just curious is all. 

Scott Atwell at Fi, is a cool cat...(he made Re years ago, and they went to shit when he left imho). I am very bias, and picky, when it comes to drivers. I love the Vegas build house (Fi), also think Jacob at Sundown gets it, along with some others (i like the some of the Xfire stuff, and run some now in my low tier system currently myself).

Most that "build" drivers,.. are just gluing parts together, again, just me, and havent kept up much. 

Archived