Help with gain setting

Pushing a 1200w rms dual 2ohm voice coil. For the break in period I ran it at 4ohm with no problem. Now I want to switch it to 1ohm wiring. I am unable to get the gain setting to the proper voltage using a multi meter. I calculate square root of (1200w X 1ohm )= 34.64volts. But I am only reading 24.11 volts with the gain turned to maximum. Playing a 40hz freq via CD. All EQ settings are flat, all bass boost off, bass knob at minimum.

i tried with volume at both 75% as well as 90%. What am I missing here? Please help.

Pioneer avh-2800 head unit to skar rp1500.1 (1500w@1ohm stable) to American bass xr12d2 sub (12 in dual 2ohm voice coils, 2400w peak/1200w rms)

Amp and sub were both purchased new.   I contacted skar for support and was told had my meter need calibrated and to take it to a local audio shop.   Very disappointed in them as that was zero help.   My meter is fine,  I use it almost daily.   My tone CD I used previously without issue so I'm confident in that.  

So here I am now looking for advice.   Thanx in advance. 

By bass knob, do you mean the external "bass knob" that you mount near your seat? If that what you mean, then that thing all the way up. That's where it's supposed to be when seeing up the amp. If you mean the bass boost knob on the side of the amp, yeah, keep that thing to a minimum. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Why is the gain setting changing just because you are wiring the voice coils differently? Did you have it set to something lower than max clean output with your sub wired to 4ohms?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 1:55 AM, K5BEAST said:

Pushing a 1200w rms dual 2ohm voice coil. For the break in period I ran it at 4ohm with no problem. Now I want to switch it to 1ohm wiring. I am unable to get the gain setting to the proper voltage using a multi meter. I calculate square root of (1200w X 1ohm )= 34.64volts. But I am only reading 24.11 volts with the gain turned to maximum. Playing a 40hz freq via CD. All EQ settings are flat, all bass boost off, bass knob at minimum.

i tried with volume at both 75% as well as 90%. What am I missing here? Please help.

Pioneer avh-2800 head unit to skar rp1500.1 (1500w@1ohm stable) to American bass xr12d2 sub (12 in dual 2ohm voice coils, 2400w peak/1200w rms)

Amp and sub were both purchased new.   I contacted skar for support and was told had my meter need calibrated and to take it to a local audio shop.   Very disappointed in them as that was zero help.   My meter is fine,  I use it almost daily.   My tone CD I used previously without issue so I'm confident in that.  

So here I am now looking for advice.   Thanx in advance. 

Faulty amp

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

Your source units output voltage doesn't change and the load resistance is not a factor.

Regardless it needs to obviously be set. The "bass knob" either needs to be disconnected or turned all the way to MAX. You want to have all "your max" settings in place when tuning the amp, You do not want any variables to accidently "UP"  the signal voltage.

I tune with out the load attached  to get it close(EXCEPT Do not set gains on a 8k+ Brazillian amp unloaded.) Then I hook up the load and final tune so that I am not burping the sub for longer than needed (This is just my opinion and how I do it. I've yet to have a install come back with a blown sub or amp. (Well from my doing.😂))

Essentially a "bass knob" or remote is an external gain knob HOWEVER where ever you set your gain on the amp, That will be the remotes MAX level. So if you set the gain to 12 o'clock position (lets say its 2v) then the remote sweep range essentially would be remote on MIN would be the gain all the way CCW (say .6v) then remote on MAX would be the gain at 12 o'clock (2v). It will not exceed the set level. 

The gain itself is very misunderstood in car audio and I am willing to bet probably close to 95% of people that actually know what the gain and means, Doesn't know how the remote operates.(personally I recommend a inline RCA remote as opposed to one controlled by the preamp section just because that tends to reduce noise and are of usually poor(er) quality, And it is one less thing the amplifier has to take care of. IF the remote has clip and temp indicators then I would obviously install it so it is in easy view but still run a RCA knob for the actual gain control of things.  (RCA Knobs do the same thing , it just regulates the voltage sent from the source unit to amp but as I said it is not ran through the preamp section, Essentially making it truly just a volume knob. THE GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME KNOB, They shouldn't put MIN/MAX on it, They should write the max V by the RCA input and leave gain just say GAIN 🤣.

I am just trying to help people understand and taking the time to write all this for an answer that Dafaseles and MrSkippyJ already took care of answering. I just wanted to explain. 

Archived