Wiring setup suggestions 12k

Hello, I have a 2012 f250 6.7 powerstroke, currently already have 1 shca 1/0 run. I putting new system in 12800 watt rms (1250 amps) total. Would it be better to just run a couple more runs of 1/0 to smd disto.(3 total) , Then split off to amps with 1/0 ? Or go with like 1 single 4/0 or 2 2/0 ? Just trying utilize the 1/0 i currently have. Any suggestions for alt setup are appreciated.

Setup going to be 

14- d4s-65v2 (200 rms each)

6- sundown super tweeter (100 rms each)

2- d4s jp8.4 (400 rms 4 channel)

1- d4s jp10.4 (6000 rms 4 channel)

1- d4s jp63 (6000 rms mono)

Subs are undecided currently.

It comes down to the amperage you’ve got flowing thru the lines and at what distance. The longer the line the thicker it needs to be in order to pass all that electricity. Professional grade 1/0 can carry 300 or so amps at 20’. Kolossus Flex 4/0 does 600 amps at 20’ if I recall correctly.  
There are plenary of threads regarding resistance of a line.  Essentially what it comes down to is ensuring the line is sufficient to carry the amperage. Find the rating for the wiring at what distance. Check the manufacturers specs for amperage draw. The line should meet those specs. I am finishing a build at 1500 amps. I’ve got a run of 4/0 from the front to the back, and 2:0 connecting the amps from the bank.

Another thought after leaving the first comment would be that between the alt and the front battery you are limited to the current/amperage of the alternator. It doesn’t do you much good to add lines where you couldn’t possibly draw that amperage, say a little for resistance. You want to allow to most power possible though. Meaning the line from alt to battery doesn’t need to be but what the alt kicks out. From front battery ( assuming there are more than one) to the back battery you only need as much line as the required second battery needs. It’s from the audio battery bank to the amps that you’ll want the lines wide open to prevent any limiting draws. Let the amps draw all they want from the audio bank. The goal isn’t to limit power, it’s simply to add the adequate lines for the job. There are wiring sheets awg that will tell you specifically what amperage at what length. Rule of thumb in my builds is overbuild that slightly to account for resistance if I can. 

What does your electrical look like? When you are talking about runs are you speaking from the alternator or battery bank? If you are running from the Alternator you only need enough wire to handle the amount of amps the alt can put out. If you are talking from a battery bank or lithium bank then that would be different.  If running from the alternator to a battery bank unless you have a huge alternator 2 runs of 1/0 should be fine. From there single or dual 1/0 runs to the amps should be good. 

Well that's the thing since it's a 4 door truck I keeping all my seats. It's a diesel so I have 2 agm battery's under the hood, and I was planning on doing 2 mechman 370amp alts (biggest I could find). So basically roughly 800 amps correct? The power wire roughly 15 ft from battery to distribution behind seat then front there to the corresponding amps. More or less I guess my question is can you guys see the best way to accomplish what I'm invisioning lol. A battery bank is out of the question as I have no room for it. So the 2 battery's under the hood and 2 alts I feel like is all the power I'm gonna be able to get maybe be able to do 3 alts. And keep in mind this isn't a comp build.  This list of equipment I listed is what I bought this far. I guess I'm asking if this was your build, do you think the 2 alts and 2 battery's will be sufficient if not what would you do? 

Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Still under construction. I'm a traveling electrician and only work on my truck in free time here a pic of my doors I started building. 

20221231_190557.jpg

20221224_170027.jpg

20221224_170034.jpg

20221228_145227.jpg

20221231_145844.jpg

I’m hoping with all that the subs are going in the bed right? What’s the bass plan.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Unsure still at the moment, most likely a pass through tho, it all depends on how much power I'm going to be able to as far as output, without having to completely waste all my bed space with w/ battery's. That's the issue I'm trying to figure out. I've been into audio for roughly 20 years but I've never really undstood if I have to have a bank rather just put like 3 or 4 alts on with the 2 battery's under the hood. I have a couple FI BTL 12s laying around also a couple w7 13.5 laying around just unsure still. I'm kind of over killing with 14 6.5s lol.

Just run as many alternators as you want or can fit and build a lithium a bank. A very powerful lithium bank is usually half to a 1/4 of the size of a agm bank. Of course depending on chemistry type you use. I use 128ah headway as it lets me run on stock voltage and it holds 14v no problem at all with two Sundown SFB 8000 amps. The headway banks are broken up into two 64ah banks the size of a small car battery as it allows me to mount them in the rear fender well on each side so it saves me a ton of space. Before I was running 4 XS 6500 batteries dropping down to 12.2 volts and taking up half my trunk space. Lithium prices on self made banks have come down to reasonable prices nowadays.  You could run an lto bank shape it how you want and have a really small foot print. 

I think batteries need to be sized appropriately. 

Batteries supply quick bursts of power, alternator does not.

Get a battery setup that can put out some good current, and have alternator that can recharge it.

Lithium sounds like the way to go for big power builds.

People out there running big power off a lithium bank and stock alternator that say their voltage hardly moves.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:40 AM, blazn22s said:

Well that's the thing since it's a 4 door truck I keeping all my seats. It's a diesel so I have 2 agm battery's under the hood, and I was planning on doing 2 mechman 370amp alts (biggest I could find). So basically roughly 800 amps correct? The power wire roughly 15 ft from battery to distribution behind seat then front there to the corresponding amps. More or less I guess my question is can you guys see the best way to accomplish what I'm invisioning lol. A battery bank is out of the question as I have no room for it. So the 2 battery's under the hood and 2 alts I feel like is all the power I'm gonna be able to get maybe be able to do 3 alts. And keep in mind this isn't a comp build.  This list of equipment I listed is what I bought this far. I guess I'm asking if this was your build, do you think the 2 alts and 2 battery's will be sufficient if not what would you do? 

Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Still under construction. I'm a traveling electrician and only work on my truck in free time here a pic of my doors I started building. 

20221231_190557.jpg

20221224_170027.jpg

20221224_170034.jpg

20221228_145227.jpg

20221231_145844.jpg

just a suggestion , wrap the rest of the black part of the door panel , leaving the black panel makes it look unfinished 👍

Archived