96 Jeep Grand Cherokee install

Getting ready to start an installation with my son in his 1996 jeep grand cherokee.   Looking for inspiration on the big 3 and amp rack.  Currently have a single anl that will connect right off the battery, but considering a double for the power wire to the alternator.  Running 1/0 to the rear where we would like to install the amp rack.  There the 1/0 will be split with a double anl fuse.  Any tips?  Is it necessary to fuse both ends of the power wire at the battery and alternator?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is best in my opinion to fuse the power run wire at both ends. Why? Because if one fuse pops the other end of wire is live.

Say, if the wire shorted out it will safe your ride from burning down. Alternator is a live wire so yes fuse it also.

Need ideas on an amp rack just look up builds on jeep grand Cherokees there are many.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 8:30 AM, 2loud4uboyz said:

Yes, it is best in my opinion to fuse the power run wire at both ends. Why? Because if one fuse pops the other end of wire is live.

Say, if the wire shorted out it will safe your ride from burning down. Alternator is a live wire so yes fuse it also.

Need ideas on an amp rack just look up builds on jeep grand Cherokees there are many.

That's what we decided to do, even the Big 3 power to alt as his service manual shows 2 60 amp fuses in the path.

Not sure how everyone runs 1/0 from engine to rear?  I ran it across the fan shroud, down to the drivers side frame using nice clamps screwed to the uniframe where other wires/lines are, back in under rear passenger seat, then through a passage between the seat and interior panel.  

One thing I will point out for anyone doing any aftermarket installation on a Infinity system. Note that it's important to run new wires for the front door mids and dash tweeters as we discovered that the factory for some odd reason ties these together.  Not sure how they do it without damaging the speakers,  but it took us about 4 hours to identify this.

25 hours in to this and all the seats have been removed,  carpet rolled up in both sides, dash torn apart and main harness pulled up for access.  Now cleaned up, and going back together.  Head unit is installed 14 awg ofc to all doors and tweeters from amp/crossovers.

Main power installed with a SMD double fused distribution up front to include big 3, just need to finish wiring amp and installing door speakers.  

My son telling me about all these kids with speakers hanging everywhere in their cars and subs just half ass thrown in.  He's getting a little impatient as it's taking so long, but realizing he's going to have one of the cleanest installs that sound better than the rest.

Still need to get creative with a better amp rack idea. May have to cross that when he adds subs and sub amp.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey dude, sounds like you're doing a top-notch job. Do it right the first time and you want be doing it twice third and fourth time. 

Sorry I didn't tell you to check out five star stereo on you tube. You would have had to search but they hit on a lot of things on a lot of 

cars and trucks. There are really helpful people.  And far as speakers hanging it not my thing. Each to their own.

Archived