Sonic Electronix

Help with new vehicle rattles, and prepping for a sub w/ pics

Sorry if I didn't post this in the right spot, I took a quick skim but thought it might fit here..

I just purchased a 2023 Kia Sportage EX and it's an okay cheapy car that they completely redesigned from the 2022 model. Lots of tech, but not a lot of information on it has. Not only is it a new vehicle but it's a new generation. 

Every time I hit a pothole or a quick bump in the road there seems to be a lot of rattle, and the whole vehicle especially in the rear just sounds very uninsulated and unrefined.. no surprise, as it is a key over talking about here 😂 but I didn't want to spend a ton of money in sound deadening, but I wanted to try to quiet things out back there from the rattles. Which is pretty unfortunate considering there's no audio in it right now and it's only got 150 miles. 

And forgive me already has. I know this is probably been asked a million times, but there was a few products I saw. And was thinking about maybe doing a kill mat on some exterior panels as well as the floor and wheel wells, spare tire area etc, then using a cheaper carpet padding or something else that You would usually find in automotive paneling or under carpets 

I realize that,  If the vehicle is naturally noisy/ clunky ,  I'm not going to get away from that, but just wanted to try to tame it down so it doesn't sound so hollow in the back just to give it more of an insulated muffled sound if anything..  

So this is what I was thinking for the base layer  ( kil mat )

And then over that, using either the smart shield or the carpet padding. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated 👍

As for now , the sub is a sundown SA-8 v2 which will be ran at 2 ohm on a soundqubed 1200.1 after I get the wires in , and wrap the enclosure in carpet. 

( Might make a box for the old DC lvl3 12 I have if the 8 isn't enough,  but wanted to keep as much room back there as I could. The cenclosure the SA-8 is in now I built 6 or so years ago for my 2002 ws6 ) 

Screenshot_20230127-101212.png

Screenshot_20230127-102314.png

Screenshot_20230127-102458.png

PXL_20230124_230759750.jpg

PXL_20230125_204401681.jpg

Yeah this is just the box I had it in when It was in my trans am.. it's actually a little big @ 1.03^3 ( sundown calls for .50-.75 ) after sub and port displacement tuned around 36 hz I believe? It's been so long. 

The potential is there for it , especially with the 1200.1 which I believe is 700 rms @2 ohms ( can't find any info on it ) 

But like I mentioned above, the sound deadening and padding isn't really for the stereo, it's for the natural rattle and clunkiness of a shitty Kia lol. So I figured if the stereo is going in there, it might be a good time to just go with the wheel wells and the floor in the whole back area, at least to the rear seats. 

9 hours ago, Joe X said:

To tell you the truth a single 8 firing up like you show, hardly would cause rattling in a larger vehicle, maybe do a test before deciding where to install deadening if necessary at all.

Any suggestions on a decent budget butyl deadener?

I know Amazon basics and kilmat are highly rated, but that's from Joe blow Amazon users.  I'd assume most here have a better answer 

it's not really a budget sound deadener , but to be truthful  , sound deadening should not be cheaped out on , i would suggest if anything  that you should go for a premium deadener like GP STFU , Ampre Audio Vibraflex , or Second Skin . buy some and install it and when you can , buy more and continue till you are where you want to be as far as the amount of noise reduced . installing shitty deadener is a bitch to remove and replace . you want to install it once and be done .. if i were you i'd get a 20ft. box of GP Car Audio STFU and buy more if you need more in time.

14212800511751__43486.1421456819.1280.1280__44620.1421457009.1280.1280__02756.jpg

1 hour ago, 02Blazer said:

it's not really a budget sound deadener , but to be truthful  , sound deadening should not be cheaped out on , i would suggest if anything  that you should go for a premium deadener like GP STFU , Ampre Audio Vibraflex , or Second Skin . huy some and install it and when you can , buy moer and continue till you are where you want to be as far as the amount of noise reduced . installing shitty deadener is a bitch to remove and replace . you want to install it once and be done .. if i were you i'd get a 20ft. box of GP Car Audio STFU and buy more if you need more in time.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/0a0965e31c23c4808dec7453865e089d0e0450d2d82f6f3d5e1d81161a0ab9ab/1280/https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/uploads/monthly_2023_01/14212800511751__43486.1421456819_1280_1280__44620.1421457009_1280_1280__02756.thumb.jpg.94b06e5f9c4fa51d81863837bbf9654f.jpg

I'll check it out.  I've been reading up on stuff and like you I thought second skin was top notch stuff.  This specific review says otherwise .. so now we are instead of looking at some of the brands everyone knows like dynamat, kilmat, second skin , noico etc this NVX stuff has grabbed my attention for performance/value. Definitely an interesting read ..

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/independent-testing-data/

Archived