Sonic Electronix

Iphone max volume before distortion and Sound Check setting questions

I understand before setting amp gains, you need to find your HU max volume before clipping. However, since i play my music from my iphone(13) through the Youtube Music app via Bluetooth, shouldn't i need to find the max volume on my iphone first, since its actually the source? I usually just turn the volume all the way up on my phone then find my max HU volume before clipping but if my phone clips at max then wouldn't mess the whole process up? Wouldn't that be the same as setting amp gains without finding your HU max level? I watched Steve's old video on finding an ipads max level before clipping and one thing he did was use a rca adapter directly from his ipad to his amp thus bypassing the HU all together. Is this the same process i need to do with my phone to find, if any, distortion at max volume?

Also, does the Sound Check option in my iphone setting need to be on or off?? Seems i read something about it needing to be off, mine has been on this whole time. Anyway, sorry for the long thread!

I like your question, I only listen via Bluetooth and some songs are louder then others and some are crystal clear, some sound like garbage and make me think my mids are blown.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

• 2 weeks later...

to give a bit of an update. I ordered some lightning to rca adapters for my phone. I measured the voltage of my phone (at max volume) with both 1khz and 40hz test tones and got less than a volt. With the DD1, i get a signal but no indication of either test tone being played, is the voltage why? 

14 hours ago, Joe X said:

Use .jpg format and the images will show.

ok, thanks for your help, I went back and watched steve's video again and he did in fact mention about the voltage issue with just hooking up the DD1 directly to an ipad or iphone. I had missed that somehow when i previously watched. 

Archived