Second Skin Audio

Looking at getting a new box for two 12s for a good price

jgi420

I am looking to buy a replacement box for two 12s. The current box I have is ported and cheaply made and I believe is tuned at 40hz. I was told the box I would need should be tuned at 32hz.

The one that was suggested to me is this product  https://www.ground-shaker.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=716&name=black-12-dual-competition-32-hz-ported-sub-box&Itemid=104&lang=en

Now would  this box be acceptable or is there something cheaper that I could purchase.

How critical is it? The box I currently have is a cheapo eBay special dual 12 ported it is currently working but I've had to redrill screw holes 3 times after removing the subs which are fairly heavy and I have not been able to face the box sideways. I have to have it aiming up because the subs are so heavy. They will just fall out of the box and rip the screws out if I use it sideways. 

I am trying to fit this box in a crown Vic type car have not measured to see if the box in the link provided will actually fit in my trunk. I would like everything to sound good. 

At this point cost is the biggest issue it seems like for a tuned  box you're going to pay. I have just kind of limped along with what I've had for years and I don't really know much about  enclosures just basics. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

The correct box to buy depends on the subwoofers specs. That box has low internal volume and low port area, it would work in very entry level subs such as DC Audio level 1 but not well on  mid tier subs like a Sundown SA 12.

Let us know what subs are you using.

You can't really find reliable information on subs that old unless you have the manual. If you do picture it and post.

From old forum posts the spec of this sub are 600W rms 1200W peak and the following parameters:

Volfenhag ZX-4812DVX

fs=26hz

QTS=.5016

QES=.5390

QMS=7.2317

VAS=44L

SD=.0452

RE=3.2 ohm per  coil

If this information is correct these are very entry level subs that will work with the ground shaker box you linked and a 1200W RMS amplifier.

Hopefully you can post the manual or at least confirm some of the info I am giving you.

So far I have found this in a forum. I have a feeling if I do get a new box the subs will still fall out from being 2 heavy. 

I already have a 1500w mono block hooked up to them seems like they handle it well doesn't seem too loud my rear view  mirror is not moving violently or anything 

Screenshot_20230301-041809.png

Can't really help you without accurate information, a very important parameter is missing : Xmax which can help you to determine how much you can size a box without causing mechanical damage to the sub, so try to get your subs information right.

Secondly the Crown Vics usually benefit from opening up the rear deck so that can sound waves can easily cross into the cabin, that should make your system louder.

For now I think I can't offer you more feedback.

On 3/1/2023 at 7:49 AM, Joe X said:

Can't really help you without accurate information, a very important parameter is missing : Xmax which can help you to determine how much you can size a box without causing mechanical damage to the sub, so try to get your subs information right.

Secondly the Crown Vics usually benefit from opening up the rear deck so that can sound waves can easily cross into the cabin, that should make your system louder.

For now I think I can't offer you more feedback.

Yeah the problem is My hghs are in the rear deck. I got six by eights in the rear deck and 6x8 in the front which give me my hi vocals I do understand what you're saying though. If I remove the speakers all together it would go through it then I would have to mount  highs somewhere else.  

I' get what you're saying. I don't really have a clue about the exact specs. I understand that they're old school. I figured I'd just run them until they blow up. Then I'd probably get some better speakers I've just upgraded my amp in the last few months. So far so good. They seem to play okay. Louder than what I've ever had them at. I started off with a 700 mono block then a few months later the sided that really wasn't that much power and I went up to the 1500 mono block.  

Don't ask me why but it seem like the bass was deeper when I had a power Acoustik 2500D Don't ask me why I believe that but I should be putting out a lot more power with the 1500 w I had the power  Acoustik wired to four ohm now I'm at 1 ohm with the NVX. 

I have thought about going to the local shop and seeing what they think or what they have in stock there but obviously they're going to tell me that I have old outdated junk and that almost anything they have would work because obviously they're trying to make money and they probably won't know much about what I have because they don't deal with the brand and it's old.

But I appreciate the advice you was able to offer me had this been 5 or 10 years ago there would be plenty of information on forums and posts where people had still had these subwoofers and mentioned the specs I had thought I seen 34 hurts somewhere on a spec sheet and this was about 8 years ago but I could be wrong.

I mean I'm sure you'll agree. These are just old school Lower end  subs probably maybe mid-range at best. Nothing anyone's going to do these is really going to harm them It's not like they're worth 500 a sub or anything If they do end up damaged  or one ends up blowing I guess it won't be the end of the world to me I can just get some newer ones, but I guess to the people that have asked me about them and have kept trying to get me to sell them They will probably be upset that I didn't allow them to enjoy them and put them in a proper box

Well my main question was would the box  someone linked to me be a big improvement over the cheaper box I currently have? This is the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/131726730650?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180816085401%26meid%3D4d575469921345f9910682eff3596480%26pid%3D100970%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D131726730650%26itm%3D131726730650%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100970.m5481&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad32436ff-b678-11ed-8bd4-9611129bc8b1|parentrq%3A91fd88241860a826dda59c83fffed75e|iid%3A1

Would it be worth upgrading or should I just continue to run what I have till it falls apart. 

Or is there some other box that will work for me that's cheaper then the ground shaker.  Just getting ideas

Archived