Sundown Audio

Help picking amps for 4 U15s

In the planning stages for my new truck. 

I am going to be running 4 sundown U series 15s V1 dual 4 ohm.

Each pair will get it's own amp. Would like to run 2 amps that are around 4k watts each for a total of 8k watts. Will this be sufficient?

So far I've been looking at ct sounds ct3200.1d 

As well as Down4Sound JP33.

Both should make around 4k with good electrical from what I understand.

I have experience with the jp23 version 1 and really like it besides the overheating on hot days. I'm leaning towards the jp33 amp but I am open to any suggestions. Nothing is set in stone yet besides the U15s. Those are already in home waiting for the build. 

If you want a cheap amp that is not full bridge you can take a look at the Audio Apex CAB-45, I do know it does rated power BUT you need to research better how reliable they are.

If you would go for a full bridge amp type they are very inexpensive compared with any half bridge design BUT you need  to have perfect electrical, one that will not go below 12.5V or above 15V on any load even if it is just for fractions of a second or these will misbehave or get damaged, the most widely used and well known are the Taramps brand, but there are others all really inexpensive.

• 3 weeks later...

So I think I've settled on an amp. 

https://www.down4soundshop.com/surge-audio-ps-4000-1-4-000-watt-monoblock-car-amplifier/

I plan to get one for now and run at .5 ohm which it benched at over 7k watts at half ohm of I remember correctly.

This is just to get me up and playing and once I get more money saved up I will get a 2nd and run them strapped at 2ohms. 

Does this sound like a sound plan for my 4 dual 4ohm 15s?

• 3 weeks later...

You mentioned wanting to run two amplifiers of roughly 4k watts each, resulting in a total of 8k watts. Although that may appear to be a lot of power, it is important to remember that the power capacity of your speakers also needs to be taken into account. The Sundown U Series 15s V1 dual 4 ohm have a maximum power handling capacity of 1500 watts RMS, meaning every pair can hold up to 3000 watts RMS in total.

With this in mind, running two amps at around 4k watts apiece could prove too powerful and might damage your speakers if you're not careful. It's essential to pair the right amount of power from your amps with the specs of your speakers so as to get the best sound quality possible without risking any damage to them.

You have looked at some models such as CT Sounds CT3200.1D and Down4Sound JP33 for use with these speakers. However, you have pointed out that when using the JP23 version 1 on hotter days there was a problem with overheating; it is worth double-checking whether this issue applies to the JP33 model too.

Ultimately, make sure you choose amplifiers that are powerful enough but also reliable and well-suited for your needs. Research into features and reviews from other users will provide you with better insight before making an informed decision for optimal sound results.

Just so you know it cost  more to run 1 amp at .5 the right way then 2 at 1ohm each.  You need 5-6 batteries plus 350-370 ALt and  multiple runs of 0 Gauge for  .5, but at 1ohm a couple batteries and a good ALT should do it. I ran at .64 and the constant voltage watching drove me crazy . Not worth it save your money do it right. You already bought great subs feed them right or you’ll think they’re shit but it’s your electrical not feeding them the  power they need. When I ran under 1ohm the day I put my 350 ALT on nothing else my system got some much louder and it was just electrical. That’s what makes systems loud not subs.

Edited by Ron36

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 6:04 AM, Clay said:

You mentioned wanting to run two amplifiers of roughly 4k watts each, resulting in a total of 8k watts. Although that may appear to be a lot of power, it is important to remember that the power capacity of your speakers also needs to be taken into account. The Sundown U Series 15s V1 dual 4 ohm have a maximum power handling capacity of 1500 watts RMS, meaning every pair can hold up to 3000 watts RMS in total.

With this in mind, running two amps at around 4k watts apiece could prove too powerful and might damage your speakers if you're not careful. It's essential to pair the right amount of power from your amps with the specs of your speakers so as to get the best sound quality possible without risking any damage to them.

You have looked at some models such as CT Sounds CT3200.1D and Down4Sound JP33 for use with these speakers. However, you have pointed out that when using the JP23 version 1 on hotter days there was a problem with overheating; it is worth double-checking whether this issue applies to the JP33 model too.

Ultimately, make sure you choose amplifiers that are powerful enough but also reliable and well-suited for your needs. Research into features and reviews from other users will provide you with better insight before making an informed decision for optimal sound results.

While you are right about the rms being below what I plan on feeding if you are familiar with sundown they are fine with being fed way more on a clean signal. The U series in particular take way more than rms rating.

As far as the JP33 I looked into it a little and from what I understand they fixed the overheating problem by wiring the fan to be on all the time instead of after reaching a certain temp. I'm not really leaning towards this amp anymore though I think I'm going to go with surge amps.

I am still really not decided on any particular amps but I am researching thanks for the sounds advice on choosing a amplifier that I will be happy with in my particular circumstances.

On 4/14/2023 at 6:42 PM, Ron36 said:

Just so you know it cost  more to run 1 amp at .5 the right way then 2 at 1ohm each.  You need 5-6 batteries plus 350-370 ALt and  multiple runs of 0 Gauge for  .5, but at 1ohm a couple batteries and a good ALT should do it. I ran at .64 and the constant voltage watching drove me crazy . Not worth it save your money do it right. You already bought great subs feed them right or you’ll think they’re shit but it’s your electrical not feeding them the  power they need. When I ran under 1ohm the day I put my 350 ALT on nothing else my system got some much louder and it was just electrical. That’s what makes systems loud not subs.

This is definitely something to consider. I only plan to run the subs at half ohm until I can buy a second of the same amplifiers but knowing me I may never actually get around to buying the 2nd. Since I try to go all in when first building a setup but then interest tends to fall off the longer I run something, and I sometimes don't end up doing everything I had planned.

Batteries may be a problem since I won't have any extra room in the cab. The truck is setup now for 2 batteries one under the hood and one in the bed. I'm not sure if I will run agm or lithium but I am considering redoing the rear battery rack behind the axle to hold 3-4 batts and deleting the underhood batt since lithium won't fare well in the engine bay.  

Definitely going with the biggest alt I can find if I remember correctly that was a 450amp but it's been a minute since I've looked into it. I have most of the underhood wiring upgraded to GP audio 2/0 the rest I used SHCA 1/0 I had laying around but still haven't started stocking up on power and ground cable to do the runs into cab and  to rear batteries. 

As you can tell I still have a lot of planning to do.

On 4/15/2023 at 10:33 AM, Kyblack76 said:

8 ns1's at .25

You seem the type to stare death in the face and laugh. 😈