Sonic Electronix

A friend of mine has a 2007 Lexus IS250 that keeps killing amps. It has gone through 4 now. We have never had issues an any other cars until he got this one. We have tried upgrading wiring, checked grounds, and made sure the subs weren't running at some crazy ohm load. We cannot figure out what is wrong. Can anyone give us any pointers? 

Current set-up

2 kicker CVR 12" 4ohm DVC - coils wired in series up to 8ohm and subs wired in parallel back to 4ohm.

Skar audio 4 guage wiring

Line output wired from factory amp to subwoofer amp

It is currently on its now second toasted skar audio 1200.1D

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

You need a LOC to interface an amplifier with any high level signals, amp, head unit or whatever provides signal except if the amplifier accepts high level signals.

Secondly the voltage at the amp power input terminals should stay above 12V at all times, specially when you are playing music loudly.

Check you have the above right since having any of those wrong could damage an amp.

15 hours ago, Joe X said:

You need a LOC to interface an amplifier with any high level signals, amp, head unit or whatever provides signal except if the amplifier accepts high level signals.

There is an LOC between the factory amp and the subwoofer amp that is converting the signal

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...