Big rims, big problems with a 2006 300C

A car came into my dealership today from another dealer, who could not fix this car.  This 2006 Chrysler 300C had the factory wheels replaced with a 265/35/R22 wheel and tire combo.  From the moment (according to the owner) that it left the rim place, the check engine light came on, and the speedo was inop.  The rim place told them to see the dealer, all that they did was bolt on some rims.  The dealer (who she bought the car from in December 2005) tried "everything" to fix it.

The DTCs that turned on the check engine light were related to the speed sensor performance and speed sensor correlation.  The previous dealer had replaced the: speed sensor (only one - no ABS on this 300), the PCM, the FCM, the output shaft speed sensor, and basically told her that she would need the whole wiring harness replaced (but without an explanation of why).  Keep in mind that the factory warranty had expired (mileage), so she had been paying for everything. Ouch.

I have worked on multiple LX cars with the big rims and have never encountered a problem before.  According to the flow chart of the DTC's, the pinion factor AND the tire size needed to be correct before diagnosing.  The only programmable wheel and tire combos are for the available factory options (17" and 18" wheels, each with two or three tire sizes). To cover all the bases, all of the related components were tested seperatly with no problems found.  Even the WSS was working properly (per scope).

Instead of throwing money at the problem, we advised her to put the factory wheels and tires back on, and to bring it back so that we could start factory fresh.  We didnt charge her for our time today (we got a good show of her "goods" so we were in a good mood :) ).  Too bad she sold the factory wheels to recoup some of the money she put out for the rims!

I hate not having an answer, Im master certified in electrical/ electronics in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles, so it really bugs the hell out of me.  Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?  I mean, worst case senario, the speedo would be off (like both my rides) but not flat out inop.  Even Chrysler had no advice.  Damn computers! 

Thanks in advance...

(BTW chevyboy, emperor, and any other diarrhea post whores with no experience with this question please do not waste my time with your non supported, non logical, non experienced answers! You will be called out so just dont do it!) 

Austin

thanks man, youre trusted advice!  And I did get that 97! (evil grin - 10kw coming!)

All of the modules that are involved (PCM, FCM, CCN) do not indicate a component failure (i.e. speed sensor voltage hi/lo/open/shorted/message N/R, or module fault).  Even a loose cable would have set a DTC. 

C.A.N. sucks, and is overly complicated.  they should have stuck with PCI/SCI busses when the finally had it right!  On the bright side, All CAN will be out of warranty someday!

dude are you a chrysler dealership? have you put stock wheels back on it yet? i'm a rim place and i know that when i take off factory wheels that have wheel scensors on them... i am responsible for adding wheel scensors to the aftermarket wheels (@least in cali) as far as the speedo a hypertech programmer will correct that, but if your a dealer dont install it tell them to go get it! as far as their warranty... DAMN 2006 with over 70k miles, its time for a new ride anyways...  ;)    

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=

dude are you a chrysler dealership? have you put stock wheels back on it yet? i'm a rim place and i know that when i take off factory wheels that have wheel scensors on them... i am responsible for adding wheel scensors to the aftermarket wheels (@least in cali) as far as the speedo a hypertech programmer will correct that, but if your a dealer dont install it tell them to go get it! as far as their warranty... DAMN 2006 with over 70k miles, its time for a new ride anyways...  ;)    

First, thank you for replying.  You are trusted advice!

yes, chrysler dealer tech.  No, she sold them to recoup some $.  Are you talking about the tire pressure sensors, there has not been a problem with them (like the stupid low tire light).  The fact that the speedo is inop, not inaccurate, but the speed sensor registers on a scope has got me stumped.   

I will tell you that I dont know anything about hypertech programming, but if returning the car to factory fixes the speedo and check engine light, Ill make the recommendation to seeing a rim dealer.  If that is the problem, I dont know why the rim place would have told her that thats not their problem, unless it was steven q. dickheads' discount rims and they werent pros.  I how to fix the chrysler products, not the effects of aftermarket products. 

And even with 80K, it is one nice 300!

Thanks again!

Austin

Guest MegaloManiac

I'm curious why the first dealer the lady took the car to didnt know that...

i was talkin to one of the NTB(national tire battery) managers he said the new tire sensors piss them off, peoples tire sensors go off for so call "Lo-pressure" and  they get crowded fast just for a simple fill up on air...its all covered under tire warrantys so they cant charge them labor.  its kinda funny, but not really

I'm curious why the first dealer the lady took the car to didnt know that...

i was talkin to one of the NTB(national tire battery) managers he said the new tire sensors piss them off, peoples tire sensors go off for so call "Lo-pressure" and they get crowded fast just for a simple fill up on air...its all covered under tire warrantys so they cant charge them labor.  its kinda funny, but not really

those damn wheel sensors suck, my ram is an '04 so it doesnt have them but the old ladies '07 rav-4... that POS even has 1 on the spare so if your a do it your selfer like most of us are here, you still gotta go get in that f'n long ass line @ the dealership!!!  :o not looking forward to when i lower it and put rims on it.   

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=