Sundown Audio

Digital Designs M4000 Question about "max " amp draw.

MikeyD

Hello all!

I have a question about the "max" amp draw for my digital designs m4000 amp.  The product spec page says max draw of 400 amps.  It has 2 1/0 power inputs.  Would this be 200 amp per input?  I am trying to figure out how to fuse it properly.  

Thank you in advance for the knowledge.  

Digital design.PNG

The manufacturer should tell you what to use, one can only make assumptions:

4000 / 0.7 = 5714.2 W of input power considering 70% efficiency and nominal rated output power,

5714.2/14.4 = 396.8 A  is the current draw at 14.4V (close to what they say should be the maximum current draw).

So that means that the fuses will blow on continuous RMS rated power @14.4V.

As long as you don't play a continuous sine wave for long and your input voltage stays around 14.4V the 200A fuses will not blow.

If you will use the amp for music only likely the two 200A will hold no problem.

11 hours ago, Joe X said:

The manufacturer should tell you what to use, one can only make assumptions:

4000 / 0.7 = 5714.2 W of input power considering 70% efficiency and nominal rated output power,

5714.2/14.4 = 396.8 A  is the current draw at 14.4V (close to what they say should be the maximum current draw).

So that means that the fuses will blow on continuous RMS rated power @14.4V.

As long as you don't play a continuous sine wave for long and your input voltage stays around 14.4V the 200A fuses will not blow.

If you will use the amp for music only likely the two 200A will hold no problem.

Thank you so much for the info!  

On 4/27/2023 at 3:55 PM, Wifebtr said:

Just to add a perspective, I have a 3k amplifier that has a 60amp fuse. I'm wired to 1ohm on 2 12s.  It's been about 2 years of me jamming to music and the fuse hasn't popped.

I think people often overestimate how much current amplifiers draw on music.

Yep.... you can usually HALF the max draw, and still be under, on music. 

On 4/27/2023 at 4:55 PM, Wifebtr said:

Just to add a perspective, I have a 3k amplifier that has a 60amp fuse. I'm wired to 1ohm on 2 12s.  It's been about 2 years of me jamming to music and the fuse hasn't popped.

I think people often overestimate how much current amplifiers draw on music.

Chances are high that you 3k amplifier is only a 600 watt amplifier too!

• 2 weeks later...

I will have 1 run of 2/0 OFC running back to the fuse distro.  Will 1 run be enough for the m4000 and a audiocontrol lc 4.800?  I would like more runs but DAMN that OFC 2/0 wire is expensive :)  What size fuse should i put to protect the wire from front to back?

2/0 is good up to about 280 ampere according to most tables, if you think you will push the amp to the limits use what the manufacturer has planned which is two  runs of 1/0  gauge each having a 200A fuse in it.

Only if you intend to use this amp with music exclusively then you could use a single run of 2/0, since you want to protect the cable as well a single 300A fuse should work.

Edited by Joe X