Multiple Amps Or Accesories On Remote Lead

Interesting how a thread like this one continues to live!

Let's just say that I had never driven a car before in my life. Is is fair that I should expect to be able to drift a 5-speed on my first outing? Probably not. Point being that understanding relays requires a basic understanding of electronics. Guys, don't be afraid to LEARN. If you don't have a copy of my book, which explains relays in-depth AFTER providing a foundation at which to understand them, then at least go to your public library and check out a book on basic DC electronics. Don't open it up to page 235 and start from there. Rather, start at the beginning and let it soak in as you go.

Don't just try to understand how to make it work - master it so that you can put it to work!

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im lost when it comes to this. I have two four channel amps in my car right now that is connected to the cd players remote lead. Im looking to add a third amp for the sub that I just purchased. I wanted to know what would I have to do to add the third amp? Would I have to add the relay so that I wouldnt mess up the cd player? I would appreciate any help..

Would I have to add the relay so that I wouldnt mess up the cd player? I would appreciate any help..

How many amperes is the cd player's remote lead? If you don't know, I would feel more comfortable with a relay.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

• 1 year later...

Some amplifier manufacturers will supply a spec for the turn-on current required, others will not. It's easy to determine if you have a quality DMM, but the explanation is outside of the scope of a thread like this. As a result of so many questions like this, I developed inexpensive turn-on relay kits that are compatible with any source unit and can turn on dozens of amplifiers. CLICK to view them.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Before using a relay, realize that:

1. Most power amps and processors require between 10 and 20 mA of current to power the turn-on circuit

2. A "bosch" type relay requires between 110 and 120 mA of current to power the coil

3. Most source units are capable of between 250 ma and 500 ma or current on their turn-on leads (this will be specified in the owners' manual)

Finally, connecting a relay as shown to the turn-on output of a source unit could actually damage it. I would strongly recommend installing a diode across the coil of the relay (in reverse bias - stripe side to turn on lead and non-stripe side to ground). When power to the coil of a relay is turned OFF, the electromagnetic field within the coil collapses. This can in some cases result in a very large voltage spike traveling up the turn-on output of the source unit, which could damage it. The diode will shunt this spike to ground, thereby making the addition of the relay harmless.

I hope you get to see this as I think I did this correctly, this is a diagram I made of how I wired my relay with the diode.

relaydiagram.jpg

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

Snafu i was wondering if you could hook your amps remote on to the ignition swithch that is connected to the radio, i was wondering if that would run the amps and radio?

The Midget Looks Into Your Soul

2008 Dodge am 3500HD with the 6.7 Cummins

Race Me tuner, dpf deleted

kenwood double din

cheap walmart speakers for now(infinity reference comps comps coming soon)

2 kicker L5's in a ported box of unknown tuning lol(soon to be changed)

Power acoustic 1500.1 on the subs (for now)

• 2 weeks later...
Since 87A post is not used in the 5 post SDPT relay could a 30a 4 post relay be used instead?

Shannon

Anyone want to answer this? LoL. I'm asking because I'm about to wire up my junk and I have the 4 post relay that don't have the 87a. I got that relay because I thought it I was not going to use it why have it? But if the 4 post that I have wont work please someone tell me.. Thanks again guys!

Shannon

Since 87A post is not used in the 5 post SDPT relay could a 30a 4 post relay be used instead?

Shannon

Anyone want to answer this? LoL. I'm asking because I'm about to wire up my junk and I have the 4 post relay that don't have the 87a. I got that relay because I thought it I was not going to use it why have it? But if the 4 post that I have wont work please someone tell me.. Thanks again guys!

Shannon

Archived