Multiple Amps Or Accesories On Remote Lead

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Before using a relay, realize that:

1. Most power amps and processors require between 10 and 20 mA of current to power the turn-on circuit

2. A "bosch" type relay requires between 110 and 120 mA of current to power the coil

3. Most source units are capable of between 250 ma and 500 ma or current on their turn-on leads (this will be specified in the owners' manual)

Finally, connecting a relay as shown to the turn-on output of a source unit could actually damage it. I would strongly recommend installing a diode across the coil of the relay (in reverse bias - stripe side to turn on lead and non-stripe side to ground). When power to the coil of a relay is turned OFF, the electromagnetic field within the coil collapses. This can in some cases result in a very large voltage spike traveling up the turn-on output of the source unit, which could damage it. The diode will shunt this spike to ground, thereby making the addition of the relay harmless.

Some auto relays have a diode across the relay already. Would these types be good enough to use?

• 2 months later...

Before using a relay, realize that:

1. Most power amps and processors require between 10 and 20 mA of current to power the turn-on circuit

2. A "bosch" type relay requires between 110 and 120 mA of current to power the coil

3. Most source units are capable of between 250 ma and 500 ma or current on their turn-on leads (this will be specified in the owners' manual)

Finally, connecting a relay as shown to the turn-on output of a source unit could actually damage it. I would strongly recommend installing a diode across the coil of the relay (in reverse bias - stripe side to turn on lead and non-stripe side to ground). When power to the coil of a relay is turned OFF, the electromagnetic field within the coil collapses. This can in some cases result in a very large voltage spike traveling up the turn-on output of the source unit, which could damage it. The diode will shunt this spike to ground, thereby making the addition of the relay harmless.

Damn now that i've read this im scared lol... Should I use a relay or not? Cuz I donno wtf a diode is so I will not have one...

Passport Build Here

Alarm: Prestige APS997A 2-Way/Remote Start

HeadUnit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Front Battery: Yellowtop Optima D34/78

Back Battery: 2x C&D Technologies High Rate Series UPS12-475FR 134AH

Subs: 2x DC Lv4XL 18's

Amps: 2x Sundown Saz1500's Strapped

Box: 12Cubes 33hz 185sqin Port(15.4sqin per cube)

Pillars: AudioBahn AS31Q

Front Doors: Clif Designs TX40.5

Back Doors: Clif Designs CD50.4C

Rear Speakers: Clif Designs TX46.5

Front/Rear Amp: Kicker ZX350.4

Back/Pillars Amp: Kicker ZX200.2(Looking for another zx350.4)

Electrical: 1/0 Scorpion Wire 2 Runs Pos and 2Runs Ground, Knu 1/0 Flex Running to Amps ect, Big 3, JL 8Ga For Speaker Wire, Knu Karma RCA's, Scorpion Volt Meter

Deadener: 100 sqft Sound Destroyer Mat And SECOND SKIN Damplifier Pro Door Pack

Damn now that i've read this im scared lol... Should I use a relay or not? Cuz I donno wtf a diode is so I will not have one...

you can buy a diode at radio shack, i think a 2 pack is $1.99. but the relays i have now already have a diode across the terminals on the bottom

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

• 2 weeks later...

hmm im quite stupid, cause i didnt really understand that one lol. i know what a relay is and everything, but not exactly how id run more than one remote wire from amps to it, and which relays to use, and how much to even fuse the remote wires for lol

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

• 2 months later...

I didn't realize this thread had sparked so much confusion since I posted almost a year ago. This topic is really quite difficult to explain in a forum thread. But, I cover relays and diodes in great detail in my book Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems. I also dedicated a third of a chapter to the use of a Digital MultiMeter (DMM). Within my discussion of how to use a DMM, I show exactly how to determine the current requirements of nearly anything - including the turn-on circuit of an amplifier.

Pick up a copy of the book and you'll have my over twenty years of experience in car audio at your fingertips. I promise you that your money will be well spent!

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I realize this thread hasn't had activity in a while but I have one question to any one who can answer it.

In using a relay, couldn't SPST relay be used instead of a SPDT?

I only ask because even with the SPDT relay, only one of the two contacts is being used.

Or does the SPDT relay have something over the SPST relays that is needed?

Thanks.

EDIT: Used a SPST relay. Works just the same.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would be cool and order up some nice sockets for my relays I'm adding....... Now I get the fun task of rewiring them so they fit my needs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Archived