Multiple Amps Or Accesories On Remote Lead

Posted Image

Connecting Additional Devices to the Remote Turn On Wire

Using a 30 amp SPDT relay, connect terminal #87 to constant 12 volts positive with a fuse rated to the sum of the additional accessories you've added and the components you need to turn on. (If you have two fans rated at 5 amps each and a neon light rated at 10 amps, you would use a 20 amp fuse plus 200 ma for each amplifier and processor.) Connect terminal #85 to ground, terminal #86 to the remote turn on wire from the head unit, and terminal #30 to each accessory with an appropriate fuse. A fuse (not shown) could also be used between the output of the relay (#30) and the remote turn on wire of the amplifiers and/or processors for extra precaution.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wouldnt think it would matter if your just using it for acc. but people should get used to 30 being the input and the 87 and 87a for the outputs.

03 Trailblazer EXT LT

In Dash

Rear Flip Down

Polk Audio Font & Rear Stage

Hifonics Zeus 4 Chan Amp

Hifonics Brutus Mono Amp

12" Rockford Fosgate Power HX2

T-Line tuned to 45hz

18"BTL T-line @31Hz (9 weeks pregnant)

• 1 month later...

Before using a relay, realize that:

1. Most power amps and processors require between 10 and 20 mA of current to power the turn-on circuit

2. A "bosch" type relay requires between 110 and 120 mA of current to power the coil

3. Most source units are capable of between 250 ma and 500 ma or current on their turn-on leads (this will be specified in the owners' manual)

Finally, connecting a relay as shown to the turn-on output of a source unit could actually damage it. I would strongly recommend installing a diode across the coil of the relay (in reverse bias - stripe side to turn on lead and non-stripe side to ground). When power to the coil of a relay is turned OFF, the electromagnetic field within the coil collapses. This can in some cases result in a very large voltage spike traveling up the turn-on output of the source unit, which could damage it. The diode will shunt this spike to ground, thereby making the addition of the relay harmless.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Damn snafu when I think I have all the basics cemented in my pea sized brain, you throw me through a loop. LOL

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

great info here - thanks guys

~Matthew

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 3L

(1) ScyTek Astra 4000RS-2W-1 2-Way Remote Start Alarm

with Shock and Proximity

(1) 20% Tint All Around (Gately Audio)

(1) 250 Amperage HO Alternator

(1) Big 3 Done In 1/0

(2) Kinetik HC2400 Power Cell

(1) Alpine IVA-D106 Receiver

(1) Peripheral Video Bypass Device

(4) Alpine SPS-17C2 Speakers

(1) Alpine KCE-422i iPod Control Interface

(4) Sheets Dynamat Extreme; for speakers

(1) 10 Square Feet Hushmat (Trunk & Rear Deck)

(4) DC Audio Level 4 15" D2 Subwoofer w/ Level 5 Coils

(1) Wall Built By David, Tuned to 32 Hz

(1) Rockford Fosgate T40001bd Amplifier

(1) Stinger 1/0 Wiring (2 runs of + 2 runs of -)

(1) Stinger Volt Meter

1. Most power amps and processors require between 10 and 20 mA of current to power the turn-on circuit

2. A "bosch" type relay requires between 110 and 120 mA of current to power the coil

3. Most source units are capable of between 250 ma and 500 ma or current on their turn-on leads (this will be specified in the owners' manual)

Finally, connecting a relay as shown to the turn-on output of a source unit could actually damage it. I would strongly recommend installing a diode across the coil of the relay (in reverse bias - stripe side to turn on lead and non-stripe side to ground). When power to the coil of a relay is turned OFF, the electromagnetic field within the coil collapses. This can in some cases result in a very large voltage spike traveling up the turn-on output of the source unit, which could damage it. The diode will shunt this spike to ground, thereby making the addition of the relay harmless.

meaning if all your really powering is multiple amps and processors a relay isnt necessary

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

• 3 months later...

Could this relay then cause a slight click that comes through my speakers on start up?, i presently have a relay connected.

I have had both Boston amps bench tested and given the thumbs up, but all tests still point to the amps being the cause of this noise. extremely frustrated :unknw:

• 3 weeks later...

agreed on the diode ive burnt up a few transistors by not having one in place

Sorry to ask this weird wack question but what does the relay look like? I don't think i have seen it before or maybe i did.

Posted Image

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

Archived