Sundown Audio

Check Actual Ouput Of An Amplifier?

Aukland

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't just use a calmp meter. You need a clamp meter and a DMM and need to know the formulas to figure this out.

well i just got me a clamp meter the other day. My dad is an electrition so he had one laying around that he gave me. Buy like you said u cant just use a clamp meter, what are some good DMM meters to use. I want something that is at least 80% reliable in its reading....I will be making a chart of a Fi BL sub powered by a memphis 1100 D amp and post it....thanks

2 AQ 10'' HDC3 copper subs

1 3500d AQ amp

146.3db on TL with stock electrical in single cab truck at 32hz

RESULT: 1st place at comp, 3rd overall out of 20 cars

well i just got me a clamp meter the other day. My dad is an electrition so he had one laying around that he gave me. Buy like you said u cant just use a clamp meter, what are some good DMM meters to use. I want something that is at least 80% reliable in its reading....I will be making a chart of a Fi BL sub powered by a memphis 1100 D amp and post it....thanks

I'll be honest you,you can get away with a Radio Shack brand. They work alright and last forever and the readings on it are real real close to the readings I get with my Fluke.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

I'll be honest you,you can get away with a Radio Shack brand. They work alright and last forever and the readings on it are real real close to the readings I get with my Fluke.

ok many thanks for the info, the clamp meter i got is a few hundred dollars though lol........ill be posting a threed of my build for my single cab truck that im putting an Fi in. will have the chart to go along with it

2 AQ 10'' HDC3 copper subs

1 3500d AQ amp

146.3db on TL with stock electrical in single cab truck at 32hz

RESULT: 1st place at comp, 3rd overall out of 20 cars

You can get the Radio Shack for about $40 and a Fluke for about $100.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

You really need an O-Scope to do it accurately.

Clipped outputs are always gonna give a funky reading on an AC voltage readout.

I scope the output then measure the voltage at maximum clean signal for 50hz.

Then square the voltage and divide by the lowest impedance you can drive and you have the maximum possible unclipped output of the amp...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Heres the rest of my thread from ROE about my thoughts om an O-scope.

Terryswork001.png

My personal feeling on that is this.

An O-scope tells you whats going on in real time and everything has a clean signal and a dirty signal.

The point of useing the O-scope is to optimize all your signals.

With an O-scope I can really see were clipping is at on the head unit.

set the head unit a little below clipping it doesn't need to be much and leave it there.

Then go to your amps make sure they have no loads hooked up to them.

Turn your gain up on the amp to right at clipping (a hair less)

Now you setup is fully optimized for best results.

Theres no guessing and no wondering if its right becuase you saw it in real time.

Now hook your woofers back up and you should beable to play them all day and all night with no worries of blowing them unless they can't handle the real amount of power your amp is putting out then your subs could end up with mechanical probblems.

The whole point of this is to optimize the total signal. From the output of the H/U to the amps to the speakers.

Once you set gains with an O-scope you never touch ANYTHING again.

Becuase there is no possible way to get your settings any better.

Heres a test for you if you have a sound quality vehicle.

Shut off your sub amps now set your H/U and mid tweet amp by ear and listen to it for awhile with a high quality recording.

Now that you are used to those songs go find an O-scope check the voltage on the head unit see how close you are to were your suppose to be.

Set the H/U to were the scope says you need to be and go check out your amps see how far off they are.

Now set your amps properly hook every thing back up and listen to that high quality recording.

I can almost gauntee you will hear little things in the music that might not been as noticeable before.

Why

Becuase all signals are now optimized for the best possible output. and I mean PERIOD

Terryswork001.png

I'm a big believer in O-scope if I had a grand laying around I would go buy one.

and I would never set an amp by ear again unless the amp was to powerful for the speakers then you got to make a chioce do I turn down the sub amp or the mid tweet amp.

Terryswork001.png

One last piece of info this only works perfect if your useing an amp that has a pure perfect flat frequency response.

The new fosgate power amps don't so all you can do is get it close.

After your done you will probbly have to adjust alittle by ear.

Good night guys got work tomorrow unless I can make it rain between 7 and 9.

Hope everyone agrees about my O-scope answer if not I would like to know what I was wrong about for learning reasons.

Till tomorrow night.

Terryswork001.png

Archived