Sundown Audio

I've always wondered what would happen if a company were to build a 12" woofer with a 6" or more voice coil. Even if the magnet was bigger than the woofer in diameter.

Acoupower is making 15" and 18" drivers with 6" coils and an internal neo motor. They are SQ drivers, though :) The BL^2 / Re is under 100 so they wouldn't make a good burp sub.

The biggest problem with a 12" driver and a coil that big is that your spider becomes really small.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

The cost of copper went up 50 cents per pound cause of that coil..... lol. Damn thats a rather large coil you got there..

*laughs*

The coil is actually aluminum - just looks copper w/ the enamel.

I am thinking about offering a copper coil, though, for a low-end monster sub - the mass of the copper would take the Fs down REALLY low.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

*laughs*

The coil is actually aluminum - just looks copper w/ the enamel.

I am thinking about offering a copper coil, though, for a low-end monster sub - the mass of the copper would take the Fs down REALLY low.

wow... if you didn't say anything everyone probably would have thought it was copper.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

Ive tried prototyping subs with them coils before, boy are they hard to solder, crimp or anything!!

Also, I refuse to say a 6" VC on 12" sub wouldnt work due to spider excursion

I have used subwoofer surrounds to make spiders, and works fine

Posted Image

^^ no spiders at all in this subwoofer at all

just a high excursion 12" cone/surround, and 10" cone of same

this thing never bottomed out, and theoretically, the surround/spider was only 1" wide from coil to mounting area

so its definitly doeable

But nice sub in the makings there

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Pioneer uses a system like that - I question how linear the Cms is without some serious R&D like Pioneer has in it.

IMO, a 6" coil on a 12" sub just isn't useful (without a depth constraint) - by the time you have that much power handling on it you either have a suspension that is too tight and you are wasting most of the power and/or you have ran out of excursion anyway with a softer suspension.

Now, for a shallow driver a wide coil is fairly useful to get more surface area from a tiny winding height - but they don't have much excursion anyway - eg: the JL shallow driver and the Morel Ultimo (5.1").

IMO anyway :)

Edited by sundownz

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg