Sonic Electronix

Need help building a system for my new rig

Hey guys..

I need your creativity.  So I've had my new rig for about 2 weeks and am already tired of the stock stereo.  The only thing good about it is the 1 year free subscription to Sirius..lol

I know ya'll are gonna come back and ask for budget...please let me worry about that  ;D

1) What's a decent brand of speakers to replace the stockers with (fronts are 6x9, rears are 5 1/4)?  Had MB Quarts in my last truck, they sounded good, but where problematic.  Or can I do away with the door speakers and find some aftermarket kick panels?

2)  I'd like to put some beat in my truck, but I have very limited space.  The only available space is in the Quad Cab, under the rear seat.  The only premade enclosure I can find is by MTX..and well, I am not a fan of that brand.  http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTXDRQC20TT45?vq_id=none

3)  Providing I can find an enclosure, what are some decent sounding subs, in which don't require tons of airspace?

Lastly...again, the issue that I have is space.  I need help in figuring out a way to get both subs and amps mounted in the limited space that I have.  How can I accomplish such a system (based on SQ) with such a small space? 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

*EDIT*  I just found this box for a sub...just curious on thoughts, due to how small it is.  Dodge Hotbox .88cf, fits 10" sub

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

hey Kev

I will try my best to help you out.

I dont care for Kenwood, I dont know much about that unit, Im a Huge alpine Fan too, and they have some new units, cheack out DVA-9861

DVD/CD/MP3/WMA Receiver, sirrius or Xm ready and one of there best units.

I would reccomend Kicks pod's you will get 10x better sound quality.

http://www.qlogic.ws/products/q_forms_deta...47&groupID=7922

so now you need some componets to fit in them  kick pods

I woulda reccomended the MB's but since you would tather not mess with them, you can go a step up and check out the Focal's K2 power 165 kf's 6.5 midrange/tweet componets. (very nice stuff)

http://www.focal-america.com/Products/K2po...er/k2power.html

For the rear we might as well stay with the same brand, and snatch up some Polyglass 130 CV1

http://www.focal-america.com/Products/Poly...olyglassV1.html

Now For a amp or amps. hah this isnt gonna be easy, question for you. how much room behind the back of the rear seat? I have never looked to see if there was room in my bosses truck ( same model as yours metalic slate blue)

if you have room behind the seat you could mount the amp on piece of mdf attached to the rear wall.

if you have room I would suggest a nice 5 channel amp for simplicity

for that I would reccomend a Kicker ZX700.5 has four channels producing 85 watts apiece+ a sub-thumping, 420-watt Class D channel. http://www.kicker.com/06/kicker_home.html

Now for a sub. maybe 2 8's  one in each chamber under the rear seat. and for that i would reccomend to RE AUDIO RE 8's  http://reaudio.com/html/re_sub.htm  / www.reaudio.com

as far getting them in there I dont know how comfertable you are doing glass work but thats an option, hell I believe you are here in Sacramento and I could help you with that if need be.

well there are some options lmk what ya think

David

if you have room behind the seat you could mount the amp on piece of mdf attached to the rear wall.

if you have room I would suggest a nice 5 channel amp for simplicity

for that I would reccomend a Kicker ZX700.5 has four channels producing 85 watts apiece+ a sub-thumping, 420-watt Class D channel. http://www.kicker.com/06/kicker_home.html

as far getting them in there I dont know how comfertable you are doing glass work but thats an option, hell I believe you are here in Sacramento and I could help you with that if need be.

David,

Thanks for the advice..I was actually looking at the Focals, I've just never heard them before.

As far as the amps goes, I pulled out my back seat today wondering the same thing that you brought up, but what stuck in the back of my head is the heat of the amp.   Can it handle not having any airflow?  As far as measurements.  If I stay on the lower side, I've got about 3 inches...plenty of clearance.

Also, as far as the Glass goes...I have no experience in doing glass and unfortunately I moved out of Sac back in 93 and now reside in Denver....but seriously, thanks for the offer to help out.

*EDIT*  looking at that kicker amp that you reccomended, the 85x4 + 420x1 seems to be at 2 ohms...so will that amp really be powerful enought?

The Focals Sound amazing IMHO,  I  installed some polyglass 165 K3P 3 way seperates in my Brother inlaws Denali and I was blown away with how they sounded. 

Unless your spending hours upon hours driving and running the system full tilt, I believe the amp will be fine.

Denver, man I feel for you having to deal with all those Donkey Fans  :D :D

actually my wife and I almost moved there I hear its beautiful up there.

you could make the boxes out of wood you just would have less airspace and with a 8" driver shouldnt be an Issue, they dont need alot in a sealed application, which is what I would reccomend in your application going for sq.

and np on the offer any friend of Steve's is a friend of mine

Yeah the Donkey fans sure are something else...  Talk about taking the sport way to serious.  It definately is awesome here, wouldn't trade it for the world.  Usually every day after work, I jump on the motorcycle and just ride up in the hills.  The scenery is just amazing.

If ya'll ever come out this way....I got ya covered for a place to stay.

What do you reccomend for a decent amount of sub space to get some good sound out of?  Do you think the .88 posted in the first post is still to small?  I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get some square tubing and lift the rear seat a couple of inches.

actaully that .88 is perfect for a RE SX 10 Sealed, the SX is a better sub.

thanks for the offer, if we ever get up that way we will hit ya up.

I think it will be a real nice sounding set-up, I hope to see some pics of it after its installed :)

David

David,

Got another ?  (sorry).  So last night my curiosity was killing me, so I pulled my rig in the garage and started ripping the panels apart.  Come to find out the rear speakers are actuall 5 1/2.  I had a 5 1/4 laying around (old stocker).  So I pulled it out, when to measure it up and only 1 mounting hole lines up, the rest have no clearance.  Any ideas?

Awesome dude..thanks.

BTW, great idea on the spacer..I got to thinking about that earlier today, so I went and bought some 1/4 inch plexi and already made the spacers (now all I gotta do is dynomat the door panel and throw the rears in place).  Also, found a way to move my engine control modules from under the driver seat, to inside of the drivers seat  ;D (ripped out the seat belt crap and moved it to under the center console) and now I can throw an amp there. 

Here's the official update.  Got the focals and kick panels on the way.  Still deciding on the deck.  No one seems to have the 9861 in stock, might have to settle for the 9860. 

Still looking for a sub enclosure...errrgg..  Anything premade only consists of .55 cf...made of 3/4 mdf, which goes under the back seat.  The problem is that the mounting depth is only 5.5.  Which means, I have to stick with MTX subs (which ain't gonna happen..sorry to offend anyone).

So I'm trying to look around to see if anyone can't make me a custom enclosure and to help out, I got my hands on some square tubing today and am going to raise the back seat 2 inches.  That should at least help with air volumes..lmao 

You know, I love my truck..but damn this is a lot of work for some beats.  But I'll be worth it.   

Archived