Second Skin Audio

do you sand down the edge of the port?

how much port area would you say is a good amount for lets say 2 subs that need 2 cu.ft each-so 4 cu ft.

Baylor University

Accounting

The relationship between port size and bass output (i believe) is that the smaller the port, the higher the velocity of the

air coming from it so it has MORE (yes more) of an impact. But it can't be too small because 'port noise' will be introduced and

that will ruin the bass (sound distorted). If the port is big enough, then the bass frequencies sound more precise and clean. But it can't be

too big, or you will lose bass impact. This is also why you round off the edge of the port because that in itself lowers port noise and the air

'rolls out' better.

You can kind of compare port design, to cylinder head design. You can't just go in and gut the head to creat flow because you'll actually lose velocity...in the case of port design for boxes, this would cause standing waves.

The rolled edges (smoothed edges) of ports promotes better transition...lower turbulance...less port noise

rounding the port with router bits x10

But no, rounding the ports do not make it hit harder at all, Aero port's, and rounded slot ports only help with wind noise reduction, BUT helps with the aerodynamics of the box air flow. Which, always in any case helps

Sorry, but i didnt say what i said if i didnt have experience doing it.  My wall hit twice as hard when i rounded my port.  Im not sayin in everybodys case that will happen but it sure did in mine.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

The relationship between port size and bass output (i believe) is that the smaller the port, the higher the velocity of the

air coming from it so it has MORE (yes more) of an impact. But it can't be too small because 'port noise' will be introduced and

that will ruin the bass (sound distorted). If the port is big enough, then the bass frequencies sound more precise and clean. But it can't be

too big, or you will lose bass impact. This is also why you round off the edge of the port because that in itself lowers port noise and the air

'rolls out' better.

thank you for clearing that up

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Definately round the port, [glow=red,2,300]it will hit twice as hard[/glow]!

:^This guy knows what he's talking about :-X

Thanks ernesto!!!

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt