Sonic Electronix

I have always tried to run a amp one step higher than stable at to leave some headroom..IE, 1 ohm stable run it at 2ohm…. But I also like to run 1.5 to 2.0 the rated Rms.

The subs I’m looking at are, Either dual 1vc or dual 2vc… Have you seen a advantage of series versus parallel on VC wiring?

One dual 1 VC sub at 1/2ohm… Two amps strapped with a MLX-100 to the sub what load will each amp see??

One dual 1 VC sub at 2ohm… Two amps strapped with a MLX-100 to the sub what load will each amp see??

One dual 2VC sub at 1ohm… Two amps strapped with a MLX-100 to the sub what load will each amp see??

One dual 2VC sub at 4ohm… Two amps strapped with a MLX-100 to the sub what load will each amp see??

Thanks in advance for any advice...

2007 Great Wall So Cool

4-12' RE audio MX's

Stetsom 7k2D

6-Batts

3-Mechman 250 amp Rhino's

Whatever your nominal impedence is your amps will each see half of that. For example if you have a 1 ohm nominal load each amp when strapped will see .5 ohms. Does that help ya out at all?

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

If your amps are each 1 ohm stable not strapped, when you strap them, the minimum ohm load is 2 ohms strapped. When you strap a pair of amps at 2 ohms, each amp see's a 1 ohm load.

So a 2 ohm stable mono amp not strapped would be 4 ohm stable minimum impedance strapped.

If you take 2 amps that are one ohm stable, and you strap them at 1 ohm, each amp is playing at .5 ohms.

Yes that helps.. Thank you..

Next question... At the same nominal load. Would it be easier for a amp to power one voice coil or two... Example 1 Dual vc 4 at wired 2ohm or 1 VC of a dual 2 ???

2007 Great Wall So Cool

4-12' RE audio MX's

Stetsom 7k2D

6-Batts

3-Mechman 250 amp Rhino's

I have always tried to run a amp one step higher than stable at to leave some headroom..IE, 1 ohm stable run it at 2ohm…. But I also like to run 1.5 to 2.0 the rated Rms.

The subs I’m looking at are, Either dual 1vc or dual 2vc… Have you seen a advantage of series versus parallel on VC wiring?

One dual 1 VC sub at 1/2ohm… Two amps strapped with a MLX-100 to the sub what load will each amp see??

One dual 1 VC sub at 2ohm… Two amps strapped with a MLX-100 to the sub what load will each amp see??

One dual 2VC sub at 1ohm… Two amps strapped with a MLX-100 to the sub what load will each amp see??

One dual 2VC sub at 4ohm… Two amps strapped with a MLX-100 to the sub what load will each amp see??

Thanks in advance for any advice...

There is one detail that can be both good and bad with series wiring depending on how you look at it. Example: Lets say you have a single dual voice coil sub system ( one woofer ) wired in series. If something bad were to happen with one of the coils only, the sub will not play at all because there is only one path for current to flow in a series circuit. This is both (good) because it is a quick diagnosis of where or what the problem is. (Bad) because now you have no bass

Parallel on the other hand, with the same problem as above, (one of the coils has a failure), You might not notice the reduced (spl) right away. Giving you a false sense of when the problem actually occured when you do realize there is something wrong with it, thus still being able to have some bass due to more than one path for current to flow

Are you able to tell the difference in the way it sounds between a series wired sub vs a parallel wired sub,......not likely. All it does is give you flexibility in what load (ohm) you want to present to your amp

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

• 14 years later...

Strapping doesn't magically effect anything..... You weirdO's that like to say "strapped" are fucking weird.  You got 2 buckets. One carries 10 gallons, or 2 that carry 5. 

That is it... period. Strapping is a headache, and shitty. Go one to one. Enjoy. 

7 hours ago, Xtreamdreamx said:

I am going to run four skar vfx 12s on two strapped skv2 3500.1d amplifiers, since strapping effects ohm load, what subs do I need, d2 or d4 ?

I wouldnt strap them, and just get the drivers you need to match the load your looking for.