Second Skin Audio

How To Recone A Sub

kingsuv

Ok, so here is step by step pictures on how to recone a sub.

So here was the issue.

Posted Image

Now in a normal, easy to get to box, I would just re solider the leads and be on my way. But since I went through all the trouble to pull the box I will upgrade to the new tinsel leads.

BTW, here is the old coil next to the new. Not bad for putting a Maxximus to the pair of them. ;)

Posted Image

So we start by having a good clean surface to work with. We will cut out the old cone.

Posted Image

Next we will cover up the motor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now we want to clean off as much material as we could.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now the fun part. We get to grind.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then we want to clean off the old leads.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now normally I would use a grinder not a drill but most of my tools are in the new shop. I we were limited on battery power for todays work.

Look for the rest tomorrow.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid labor FTW! :D

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

whoa thanks for this, im gonna be reconing my sub soon so this should come in handy for sure.

So easy, even a 12 year old can do it ;)

lookin well prepped Bill

I never had to go beyond a box cutter, once you lay that blade flat on the surround or spider surface, it should come clean off with just a few strokes, CA or rubber based glue

Your definitely gonna have some nice clean gluing surface thats for sure

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Now that it's clean it's time to get it back together.

I start by marking where the leads go. It's simple i know but a lot easier then not having the leads in the right spot ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nothing like some home made shims to set the coil.

Posted Image

Black CA glue and some activator.

Posted Image

Laid down a nice bead for the spider.

Posted Image

then weighed it down to help it set.

Posted Image

While it's setting I soldered the leads.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then a nice bead of glue for the surround with clamps to hold it in place.

Posted Image

Now the dust cap can be tricky. I use a piece of tape to hold it while I glue it

Posted Image

then add a little weight to hold it while it sets.

Posted Image

Bingo. Reconed sub.

What brand of CA glue and activator did you use? Also do you spray the basket with the activator then apply the glue or the other way around? What did you use for the shims? I'm about to recone some subs and this helps me a lot! Thanks for the great tutorial!

I just use the house brand from a local RC hobby shop. I apply the glue to the basket and the activator to the cone / spider. The shims are manila folders cut up to fit the coil. took 3 layers for a nice tight fit all around.

Archived