Second Skin Audio

Box Help MA Audio MA80XE

I recently decided I wanted to play around with some 8 inch subs just for a little bit of bass, as I have grown out of the really loud expensive bass(for now).  So I hop on ebay and find a decent deal on 4 of these Ma Audio 8 inch subs, which I ended up paying $96 for shipped. (MA80XE)  Anyway I was wondering if there are any box wizards that could help me design a box for these subs as I would appreciate it very much.  I am just looking for a simple sealed box, but the numbers the company has given me are conflicting because they say between .25 and .5 for sealed and then turn around and tell me that optimum size is .65?  They also don't tell me the displacement, but I think I will just go with a similar sized sub.  Thank You Very Much

try around 2 cubes after, see what you think..

if you got the room why not go ported?

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I don't think I want to mess around with going ported.  They want around 1 cubic foot per sub, plus building the port and everything gets a bit more complicated then just building a nice sealed box.  Do you have any recommendation on size/port size for a ported box?  I have max dimensions of 17x36xD.  Having some numbers would be nice way to keep the door open, because I am kinda partial to ported boxes.  Thanks A Lot!

I could help ya a bit with the box, sealed/ported etc.  I use BBPRO 6 and it helps tremendously if you want to go ported because it easily figures out the displacement of everything including subs, bracing, ports etc to give you an accurate tuning.  For sealed, how would you want the box?  subs up, facing back etc..  The program has that model of sub in the database for a reponse graph but it doesn't give the displacement of it. 

Awesome, thanks a lot.  I think I will figure about .1 cubic feet for all 4 subs combined, because I looked up the RF P2 8's and they are something like .024 per sub and aren't quite as deep as the Ma's, but I assume them to be pretty darn close.  I always face the subs back as I have an 02 Impala and they seem to sound best that way.  If you could figure out both sealed and ported and see what it says will sound best for each I would appreciate that.  If I can get some decent sound out of a smaller than 4 cubes ported box, I may go that route.  I will probably go with flared tubes also if I go ported.  Thank You Very Much

Ok, the sealed box is 2 cubes after subwoofer displacement.  I don't know if it would need bracing or not, but if so I can add bracing displacement in if necessary.  The box would be 12 x 36 x 11.5. 

For the ported box I did 3 cubes after port and woofer displacement.  No bracing added yet.  I wasn't really sure about what size ports or how many you would use so I just entered 2 4" ports with the flared option.  It's 15 x 36 x 14.25.  Ports on the side because I don't know if you could fit them on the front or not.  I'm given a length of 16.25" (rounded from 16.18") for the ports, tuning of 35hz (random)

I'm sure the box styles and stuff can be refined or changed if needed.  You'll have to pick some dimensions that would work best for you.  So the sealed box would be pretty simple and straightfoward.  I'll post a graph up also of the two boxes being compared.   Also, if this looks weird to anyone, let me know as I may have done something wrong.

Red-sealed/Orange-ported

untitled.jpg