How To Remove Tint

roscoe1129

Taken from:

http://www.tintcenter.com/

All window film deteriorates with age and eventually have to be removed. Two of the most common symptoms of dying film are the dreaded "purple film" and the "bubbling film".

Purple film is caused by non-metallic dyes in the film breaking down and changing color. Bubbling film is a sign that the adhesive used to apply the tint to the window is failing. After a single bubble appears, many more will follow.

So you are a true handy-man. These are the household items you will need when removing window tint:

Black Trash Bags

Ammonia (undiluted)

Super-Fine Steel Wool

Razor Blade or Sharp Knife

Windex Glass Cleaner

3 hours of time

Nice hot sunny day

1. Cut the garbage bag in roughly the shape of the window, spray soapy water on the outside, cover it with the black trash bag and smooth the plastic flat.

Most window tint is constructed of multiple layers of film. When left under the hot sun, the garbage bag will absorb heat, helping the film peel off in one piece.

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. Protect all inside surfaces near the rear window with a tarp: speakers, rear light, and upholstered surfaces, then spray the entire window film with undiluted ammonia.

Undiluted ammonia has a strong smell. It is recommended that you hold your breath or wear a face mask.

Posted Image

3. While the ammonia is still wet, trap the ammonia against the window film with another trash bag or plastic wrap. Park the car with the rear window facing the sun for an hour to soften the tint's adhesive.

Posted Image

4. Now we can start peeling the window film. Use your fingernail or razor blade lift the window film in a corner of the window, and try to peel the film off in one entire piece. Keep the tint moist with ammonia as you strip.

Use a razor blade to scrape off any tint that did not peel. Be careful not to cut the defroster lines.

Posted Image

5. Remove the any residual adhesive with ammonia and Super-Fine steel wool, wiping with paper towel before it dries.

Remove the exterior trash bag, and clean window thoroughly with glass cleaner.

Posted Image

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

remember to vent car when working with ammonia.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

• 2 years later...

what also works is using a fabric steamer, takes the glue off too.

2010 Subaru Impreza

Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD

2 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2

Audison LRx 1.1K

superglue a dildo to the center of the cone....lube it.....then have that dumbass sit on it :good:

while playing a 10hz note

haha, this reminds me of a paintball sticker i have "my balls slap at 300fps"

now I want a sticker that says "i fuck at 10hz"

• 1 month later...

My father is a profession Window Tinter. He only uses Ammonia to remove tint. It works great, just make sure you have good ventilation, I tint windows as well, and trust me you need good ventilation. What we do is peel as much as we can of the old tint off, then we spray the Ammonia on, let it sit for a while. We then use a razor blade to scrap the rest off. Also, just in case nobody knows there is Ammonia in Windex, it will over time with cleaning destroy the tint. I just use Vinegar and water.

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

Stoners has a great aerosol window cleaner tha is safe for tint. Also anyone trying this on your back window, take your sweet ass time because fixing defroster lines is a pain in the but.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

• 3 years later...

The same tools and equipments used for the car window tinting project that is being done in the pictures are the same things that I use. For me, the difficult thing of doing a car window tinting was trying to have the film stick to the window. It seemed like every time I applied a little bit of water and later spread it around using a scraper the film would come off. What would be the best and easiest way to have a tinting film stick? http://www.tintcenter.com.au/services

Archived