Mechman Alternators

Question About My Alt

ok just a quick question

you said that the 250 amp rhino series alt for my 95 jimmy would put out 150 amps at 800RPM

why does the dyno test sheet say it only puts out 26.9 amps at 1600RPM??

TeamDeadlyHertz-jesseanson.png

2004 gmc Yukon

270 amp mechman alt.

1 odyssey PC1500 up front

6 kinetik HC2400's in the back

2 18" BTL's fully loaded

2 saz-3500d's strapped

155.7db @ 38hz sealed :)

MY YOUTUBE!!!

Im not mechman, but the 150 amps at 800 rpm is your engine's speed. The dyno sheet shows the actual alt speed. The alt will always be turning much faster than the engine. Im thinking ive heard 4 times faster? Don't quote me on that. No matter what the ratio is, you will still be good at idle when the alt is actually in your car

Im not mechman, but the 150 amps at 800 rpm is your engine's speed. The dyno sheet shows the actual alt speed. The alt will always be turning much faster than the engine. Im thinking ive heard 4 times faster? Don't quote me on that. No matter what the ratio is, you will still be good at idle when the alt is actually in your car

thanks man, i was just wondering haha i figured it would be something like that

TeamDeadlyHertz-jesseanson.png

2004 gmc Yukon

270 amp mechman alt.

1 odyssey PC1500 up front

6 kinetik HC2400's in the back

2 18" BTL's fully loaded

2 saz-3500d's strapped

155.7db @ 38hz sealed :)

MY YOUTUBE!!!

Anytime. Im sure he will chime in here at some point and give you the official rundown, but I figured I could atleast take the worry off your mind for now.

I was just glancing through some stuff.... read the last part of the first post

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=32548

I was just glancing through some stuff.... read the last part of the first post

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=32548

With the pulley supplied, your alternator will turn aprox. 3.2 times engine speed. In other words, 800 engine RPM x 3.2 = 2560 rpm at the alternator.

thanks

Matt

• 2 months later...
With the pulley supplied, your alternator will turn aprox. 3.2 times engine speed. In other words, 800 engine RPM x 3.2 = 2560 rpm at the alternator.

thanks

Matt

What would the ratio be for the smaller diameter pulley that you have?

Edited by 8Deuce

What would the ratio be for the smaller diameter pulley that you have?

Your crank pulley should be about 6.5" in diameter. Our ultra over drive pulley is 1.75" in diameter. 6.5 / 1.75 = 3.71:1 ratio. The only thing to remember, is that you might run into belt slip issues running a pulley that small on a 250+ amp alternator. The decreased surface area, and increased gearing makes it harder for the belt to grip an alternator that strong. You will need to run a slightly smaller premium serp. belt, and keep an eye on it to make sure that it isn't slipping under full load.

Your crank pulley should be about 6.5" in diameter. Our ultra over drive pulley is 1.75" in diameter. 6.5 / 1.75 = 3.71:1 ratio. The only thing to remember, is that you might run into belt slip issues running a pulley that small on a 250+ amp alternator. The decreased surface area, and increased gearing makes it harder for the belt to grip an alternator that strong. You will need to run a slightly smaller premium serp. belt, and keep an eye on it to make sure that it isn't slipping under full load.

Got cha, but I meant was, if the pulley supplied turns the alt 3.2x's faster than the engine, what would the smaller pulley turn the alt compared to the engine?