Second Skin Audio

How Do You Properly "break In" A Subwoofer?:)

I think many newbies like myself forget or have no idea how to break in a subwoofer. Im getting a DC level 4xl and running it off a sundown saz1500d. How do i break 'em in right and for how long because i hear many of the experts in this forum saying that they just got the subs and run them to the max? Im writing this because i didnt let my last subs "break in" and they sound like crap now. thanks

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

lol, all break in time does is loosen the spider so the low end gets louder the the high end lightens up

allows for more power too eventually

if ur daily, just use a dmm and set gains accordingly and be gentle the first few days..then blast it

if competing, totally different story

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

lol, all break in time does is loosen the spider so the low end gets louder the the high end lightens up

allows for more power too eventually

if ur daily, just use a dmm and set gains accordingly and be gentle the first few days..then blast it

if competing, totally different story

dmm?

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

just be easy on it for a week or so, dont go around town full tilt for like half an hour or nothin like that. After about a week, that is if you do a fair amount of driving, then it is safe to start turning it up and demoing and whatever.

A test that i always do to see if a woofer is broken in or not is to push the cone up and down before you put any power to the sub, judge the amount of pressure you are applying to the cone to have it bottom out. Then after about 5-7 days i go back to the woofer and push the cone in and out and if it is significantly easier to move and the spiders feel smooth and there isnt as much resistance, then i know the sub has been broken in.

BTW my l7 took about 2 weeks to break in compared to my HiFonics subs which only took 1 week.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

dmm?

a digital multimeter.

a very useful tool when trying to set the gain on your amp or reading what your battery puts out in voltage.

most companies will tell you when breaking in a sub to play a certain test tone for a certain amount of time at a certain level blah blah..

what they are really saying is give the sub time to let the suspension become more relaxed so you aren't letting the motor rip and destroying something.

it takes about a week or two of playing music at a low volume before it wears in and becomes relaxed.

once it does it sounds and performs a whole hell of a lot better.

of course for my sub breaking it in meant letting it rip at low gain and then gradually increasing the gain to proper.

Fi FTW!

btw nice picture :D

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

keep the gain low and dont F&%$@^! crank it. thats just what i do...

i used a lil charger relay off of a e-scooter and it sent a cycle through one of my Hifos, not anywere near how you should do it, but i had the spider nice and loose within abour 16 hours. had it in a freezer so keep it cool aswell, those were the days....didnt break so easily. but yea, just dont do that :)

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

a digital multimeter.

a very useful tool when trying to set the gain on your amp or reading what your battery puts out in voltage.

most companies will tell you when breaking in a sub to play a certain test tone for a certain amount of time at a certain level blah blah..

what they are really saying is give the sub time to let the suspension become more relaxed so you aren't letting the motor rip and destroying something.

it takes about a week or two of playing music at a low volume before it wears in and becomes relaxed.

once it does it sounds and performs a whole hell of a lot better.

of course for my sub breaking it in meant letting it rip at low gain and then gradually increasing the gain to proper.

Fi FTW!

btw nice picture :D

Yeah i most likely will just set the gains on the amp to just above 1/4 for like 2 weeks then if i feel like listening to a song really loud i cant damage anything if i wanted. good idea?

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

Yeah i most likely will just set the gains on the amp to just above 1/4 for like 2 weeks then if i feel like listening to a song really loud i cant damage anything if i wanted. good idea?

yeah I did mine just under/over a 1/4 on gain and now I am just under 1/2

it isn't technically the correct way to set gains though so I am not going to recommend it.

but I have had no problems thus far.

and if you have it at 1/4 for 2 weeks you can play pretty loud.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Archived