Astro Build - 12 Cerwin-Vega 12"s in a Clamshell C-Pillar Wall

For the UBL (Un-Interrupted Build Log) Please Click
HERE
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So..... I finally decided to get started. :D

I have been taking pics and will get the thread up to speed- but for my first post, I actually have a question. What do you guys think about the angles for the baffles??

DSC02826.jpg

The magnets will clear each other and it looks like I will actually be able to fit the inner row in there. By my estimations, the box should tune to around 38-40 hz (Which is ALOT higher than I really like to go- but the design pretty much dictates it). Modeling says it might actually be a monster somewhere around 40-50 hz. Hopefully loading will bring it lower than the math shows.

Is there anything you guys would do differently??? Something I have overlooked??? Tune too high or what? Once I cut the wood I have it is a done deal. Let me know!

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, it looks like you may get a lot of cancellation or something. Angles look to close. That may just be my eyes messing with my brain (which is dead in the first place).

I want to see more pics. This is going to be interesting I think.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

Posted Image

This is modeling it: the yellow is my old box and the red is the new one. The old one hit lows that didn't even sound natural. :)

I dunno about the cancellation- they will all be in phase so why should there be cancellation? As I understand it, there is no cancellation below 80 hz or something (hoopty for example).

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Have some older stuff that I might as well post up too. Some of these are in other threads, but all a part of the build.

Posted Image

Vifa Center Channel with attenuation knob (L-Pad)

Posted Image

Posted Image

An older photo, but there are now 2 Aura Bass Shakers under each seat. They work- but not as good as the 12s

Posted Image

2 McIntosh tweets in each kick. That is with the old door box.

Posted Image

4 4awg runs to the back, 0awg to the alt, ground, frame

Posted Image

A regular duralast gold 120 amp alt

Posted Image

Out with the impact

Posted Image

Larger factory pulley next to newer smaller overdrive pulley.

Posted Image

And back in. It really gets the alt spinning now- helps it make the amps at much lower rpms.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Posted Image

Gutting the headliner

Posted Image

Ahhh the tacks

Posted Image

And headliner done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Latest door pods- 2 4" JBL GTis, 1 5.25" Tang-Band woofer

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

How high is the port? I was working with around 200mm (8") between the top and bottom rows, looks like you might need a bit more.

Probably reducing the height of the first angled baffles will help it to all make sense.

Don't worry much about what BB6 says for tuning ;) It will play lower than that :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

You'll be glad to know that if you do get any cancellation that will bring your frequency down some. It may benefit you in the long run since your tuned higher than you want to be anyway.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Man, I didn't get any "work" done on this thing yesterday for all of the angle drawing I was doing! I went through about 4 different sets of angles. Change the angle, it changes the internal volume and port length. :aggressive: So, it is either low tune with possible port noise, or small box with high tune. I am afraid this is about as good as I am going to get. This one sort of shot the middle of all extremes.

The port is 4.5" high, 47" wide at the smallest. That comes to about 210 square inches of port. The port is so far back because of the angles, it is only like 4 or 5 inches long- depending on where the back of the box is going to be. So the width of the port is pretty much the depth of the port to the back of the box. I believe that will effectively lengthen the way the enclosure "sees" the port and lower the tune even more.

I think I know what you are saying Boon with changing the angle of that first baffle to get more room at the port. The problem with that is I loose internal air space and it pushes the second baffle closer to the back of the box. That almost makes it where there is no port at all. And about BB6- I know it is like putting a wet finger in the air. :rolleyes:

And Nightshade- I was thinking that too. The subs playing off of each other might help lower things a bit too.

Dah! Maybe I just say screw it and build it. :D

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

it should act as a tunnel and lower the tuning when it "flares" so to speak i believe.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg