Astro Build - 12 Cerwin-Vega 12"s in a Clamshell C-Pillar Wall

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:)

Thanks guys. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit scared to build something this big. Seems that every box I build is larger than the next. If this one sounds like a wet fart, then it isn't like you just pull it out. Whatever- nothing ventured nothing gained. I think I am going to build it like this an see what it does. :)

I still have to get to the hardware place and get some LARGE bolts of some sort to hold it down. The little crap I got just doesn't cut it. I loves my bass- but to live through a crash and then have your box kill you is just stupid. :P

I will post pics of up to current later on tonight. Gotta go to work for now.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Ok..... now this is cheap-o build supreme. Most of the wood I am using is 1" table tops that were going to be discarded. So- all large pieces are going to be 1" and all corners or places that butt together are getting L brackets, then will be getting some pretty nasty 45's. After all of the cutting is done, the entire thing is going to be sealed with resin or paint or both. On with some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The old box- never covered or painted. If you look- you can see that I had a leak around a door seal. Water > MDF

Posted Image

Posted Image

These dinky things are hooked around the back seat rows hooks. I will be replacing these with some monster ones soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ahh dust.

Posted Image

This is how I fixed these holes in some of the big pieces- I cross drilled holes inside, then put several screws everywhere else in the holes. Taped up one side and filled the void with resin. Resin has plenty to hold to and the holes are gone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Water and moisture tight. ...like it should be INSIDE my van in the 1st place. Bah!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Posted Image

I really debated putting this GOOF UP on here. But why not. As it would seem, I can't measure. It doesn't show if you peep in the window and there will be vanity panels to cover it up front and back. As far as strength- the 45's will way cover up the corner- so it should be alright. No matter how many times I measure, I always miss something stupid by an inch or 3/4 or what have you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's it for now. Hope to make some serious progress this week and weekend.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Woo hoo! Goodies from Parts Express.

Posted Image

Two of the pits approve.... the other didn't want to be on camera.

Posted Image

My Booger and some equipment. Lpad, fuses, fuse holders, vga splitters, and some screaming tweets.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

this looks awesome man! keep the pics comin....i bet this is taking up a couple hours of each day haha

05 Silverado Crew cab

-Pioneer D3

-RE Audio Components & Coaxials

-US Amps Xterminator 1600.4

-4 10" Pioneer TS-SW251's behind back seat

-Arc Audio KS 1000.1 amp

-Kinetik HC 1400

-Autopage RS 1000 Alarm & Remote start

Got some work done, mostly cutting and measuring. Corners of the box are strong now. Work for the next 2 weeks is going to be spotty what with work, weddings, and so on.

Posted Image

Sure was fun cutting speaker holes for 12 12"s- but still, a good problem to have.

Posted Image

Some of the pieces for the baffles to rest on.

Posted Image

Again from the front.

Posted Image

And more or less what it will look like. The top 2 baffles are screwed in, but still need to have pieces added on the back where wood butts together and needs cross braces. The bottom 2 are just lying there. No port in there either. The port or throat or terminus or whatever you want to call it chokes in pretty good- hopefully it will sound good. I am hoping for tha' low lows. :)

Let me know what you guys think!

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Archived