Sonic Electronix

So I seem to have run into a little problem with my friend's install..

Look's like the older durangos (1999) don't come with too many places to ground your wires. In most SUVs I would ground where the jack/ spair tire would be. There usually seems to be some nice metal there.

However with this vehicle the "metal" (if it actually is metal) seem's to be "cheap". IMO it isn't metal and I don't really want to take the chance grounding there only leading him to blow his amp.

I've heard of people "grounding to the chasis". I know that your starter battery is grounded to the chasis and that's the best ground possible. When I asked a friend at the local shop about my problem he said that they normally ground like I do (near the spair tire) but he told me if I can't find another ground to pull one of the plugs that all SUVs come with and that way I will be able to run wire under the vehicle and into the car. For me to ground it outside the vehicle, under neath it, to the chasis/frame. I asked him if it would be fine to do this and if the ground gets wet would any thing happen? He responded to me with "you should be fine even if the wiring gets wet".

To me, he didn't sound too confident. I'd like to see what you guys think about it.

Archived