Mechman Alternators

The Competition...

^x2 would love to see some dyno numbers on somethign from someone i trust to know what they had.

Exactly, yea theres a lot of bad stuff being said about Iraggi, however I felt like I had a very strong alt, It powered 2 amps (each fused at 150 amps) @ 16 volts without any voltage drop except when normal idling, So I know it made power, otherwise my voltage would have dropped to 13volts at least.

Im very curious however to see what was used inside on parts, and if mechman can change any stock delco parts out for better if stock was used, etc.

Interesting

Whats interesting?

This thread pretty much seals the deal for me as far as who i'm getting my alt from. I pm'd mechman with a request for a quote and he got back to me the very next day. I asked another question after getting the quote and he got back to me in a matter of hours. I had requested a quote from another alt guy and it took about a week to get the quote, and the pricing was way higher for a similarly rated alt.

I hate that it's gonna cost so much to get one of these but as I seen, it can be alot more. Not only that, but I absolutely need one so it is what it is.

Thanks mechman for the quick response and for the testing and explanation posted here, you make it easy for us common folk to understand.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

well today is the 28th, and mechman should have finally gotten my externally regulated 300 amp Iraggi Alternator for some more testing purposes, as well to get recased for my current vehicle.

Cant wait to see how this goes!

i wanna know too

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

So "autozone" sells big alts right?That could be who hes comparing to?

The alternators in this thread are not from autozone. They were high priced ($400 -$500 each) units from reputable high output alternator manufacturers that are well known on this forum. Customers sent them to me because they were concerned that they were not putting out their rated output, and indeed most of them were not. I will not divulge who's units they are, because that just creates a gigantic mud-slinging fest.

The priamry purpose of this thread is to compare output curves between the smaller case overwound units, and the output curves from MechMan large case conversions. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that you will generally have a better low RPM output curve from a physically larger late model alternator that doesn't have to have such an agressive stator to produce the same overall output.

And for the reccord, using used OEM parts is not necessarily inferior to new aftermarket parts. In some cases, used OEM components can be of better quality than certain aftermarket components. In my opinion however, I don't think an alternator built out of a $15 core and a $40 stator should cost $400. The major reason why they have retail prices that high, is so that these other alternator companies have room to lower the price and sell them through distributors.

MechMan alternators don't have as much markup in them because they are more expensive to build do to the parts that we use. At some point we might release a lower cost line of alternators built with used parts, but at this time all of our units are 100% new. We also have to take into consideration the labor and matierials used in the adapter brackets and custom housings, which further increases the build cost. Even with all of those expenses figured into the equation, our units are STILL generally less expensive than other units built with reclaimed parts, just because we don't have to build in a bunch of extra profit margin for middle-men.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another comparison for the wall of shame:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This unit cost right at $400 and took three weeks for the customer to get. It is based off of the standard Honda Accord Denso housing with a different stator. Every other piece in the unit was re-used OEM parts. It was sold as a 200 amp unit, claiming 120 amps at idle, and it barely made 70 amps at 800 rpm (almost nothing at true idle speed) and 159 amps peak.

Posted Image

A MechMan DynamoXL 150 amp unit would actually outperform this unit at ALL rpms, especially idle, and wouldn't even be working up a sweat at that amperage level. We use the same large case late model housing regardless if it is a 150 amp unit, or a 300+ amp unit. Our DynamoXL units sell for only $375 shipped. Everyone thinks that 150 amps isn't enough for their application, but the fact of the matter is that a MechMan 150 amp DynamoXL unit will easily outperform most other 200+ amp units under real-world driving conditions. This is why it is so frustrating to see alternator manufacturers not use SAE ratings. A MechMan DynamoXL unit typically dynos well over 100 amps at TRUE idle speed (600 rpm) and full output by only 1,400 rpm. They usually exceed 160 amps (SAE rated) on the dyno, but each unit varies some.

Exactly, yea theres a lot of bad stuff being said about Iraggi, however I felt like I had a very strong alt, It powered 2 amps (each fused at 150 amps) @ 16 volts without any voltage drop except when normal idling, So I know it made power, otherwise my voltage would have dropped to 13volts at least.

Im very curious however to see what was used inside on parts, and if mechman can change any stock delco parts out for better if stock was used, etc.

Whats interesting?

post results i know you have them http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif

i know its about 70 amps short of what its rated at :nea:

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER