Anybody Ever Use/mold Styrene ? ( Pics Added )

Okay. Heres what we are trying to do.... may seem a little far fetched, but it is what it is....

My Wife is making a pair of shoes for one of her classes at the Savannah College of Art and Design ( SCAD ) . She is working on her Masters Degree in Fashion Design. This class is an elective, and her professor is being sort of vague. We are trying to mold a piece of material to help hold the shape of the leather so that it stays vertical around and above the foot bed. The professor used some stuff that looks like fiberglass mat to make the shape around the back of the heel....We dont know what it is, or where he got it, and he didnt say. It is not fiberglass though, and is stiff enough that you could glue leather to it, but it will still bend .... Think womens shoes, pumps, high heels, etc.... the sides of the shoes are stiff, but still flexible. We do know that the material he used , he heated it up and then shaped it. It cooled almost instantly , and held its shape... We dont have any more of it, and he just failed to mention what the stuff is, nor did he offer up any more of it for her to finish her shoes with.

We tried using some very thin styrene sheets , and heated them in the oven. It sorta worked, but it is not working well enough to look good. I am pretty sure If we knew how to work it and heat it properly, we could achieve satisfactory results. Any body got any ideas? The styrene wont be seen, and it has to be kept smooth enough to cover with seude leather after it is shaped.....

Most likely, she will have to take the shoes in unfinshed, and rely on theis professor to help her finish them up, but she would like to take the shoes into class finished. She is a clothes designer/ and seamstress.... girl is fuckin awesome with a sewing machine, but she doesn't know too much about making shoes....

Thanks.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

Well.... She will have to turn the shoes in tomorrow.... and the teacher sorta used her shoes as demo in class yesterday.... and never gave her anymore of the material to finish them, and we went to the school today to see if he was there, and he wasnt.... either way, she wanted to try and have them finished before the class started tomorrow....

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

Just to show you she did it. Pretty damn good for a first time cobbler....

DSCN0001_3.jpg

My Kulicki Box Build

I think I know what material you are talking about. They use that same material in Nike Dunks or Nike Air Force Ones too. Just like you said its like a plastic but flexible material they sew the upper part of the shoe (leather,suede etc) too and then glue and stitch that to the sole..

I use to customize shoes on the side, mostly painting and changing the shoe color, I started to get into sewing and making shoes from scratch but my sewing skills suck lol so I gave up and went back to this car stuff.

If you find out what that material it is called I would be interested in knowing if you could find out possibly.

Archived